Re: Notes game

Postby JeffJetton » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Le Bal de la Marine?
JeffJetton

Expert
Expert

Postby Glenn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:46 am

I love that song. Coincidence as I started practicing it last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA
Glenn

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Corsaire » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:54 am

Yes - Le Bal de la Marine.
I loved it as soon as I heard it - one of the first musette waltzes I learnt when we moved to France. I haven't played it for years but picked up the music the other day to see if I could still play it ...... needs some practice !

Over to you, Jeff ...
Corsaire

Expert
Expert

Postby debra » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:16 am

Corsaire wrote:Yes - Le Bal de la Marine.
I loved it as soon as I heard it - one of the first musette waltzes I learnt when we moved to France. I haven't played it for years but picked up the music the other day to see if I could still play it ...... needs some practice !

Over to you, Jeff ...

I did not know this song, but I also interpreted the octaves wrong. For me the octaves start at C, so I interpreted the first A to be higher than the C and the jump to the high a was very strange to me because I was thinking of that much higher. The jump from E to the high a was a very large jump I would not expect in a song. We should agree on how we denote octaves when we do (as a hint, not initially).
So maybe, if octaves are indicated, please indicate whether you let an octave start at A or at C... Thanks. (It wouldn't have mattered for Le Bal de la Marine as I never heard that song.)
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Corsaire » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:32 am

I think I understand - so in fact in my tune, it would have been better if I had put that the octave starts in A (the song starts off in A minor) ?
Corsaire

Expert
Expert

Postby debra » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:22 am

Corsaire wrote:I think I understand - so in fact in my tune, it would have been better if I had put that the octave starts in A (the song starts off in A minor) ?

Yes because otherwise people get confused. In standard music notation and in any music notation software I know every octave starts with C. It goes against the alphabet but it is what we now have come to expect. CDEFGAB is one octave, and cdefgab is the next higher octave. This is independent of the key in which the music is composed.
debra

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Corsaire » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks, Paul ! It's a very long time since I took theory exams ....
I'm always glad of the little indentation on the middle C bass button :D
Corsaire

Expert
Expert

Postby JeffJetton » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:53 pm

FWIW, I wasn't thinking "octaves start on A like the alphabet". Rather, I considered that "in the same octave" could be interpreted as the same octave of the key, when I tried out the notes. For example, in the key of, say, G major, the notes G B d e are really all in one octave, key wise, even though they're in two octaves from a C-based perspective. Corsaire's notes smacked of A minor! :-)

Anyway, onward...

Well this one could be easy or hard. We'll see.

To avoid confusion, I'll go with the ABC notation standards, which is similar to the way Paul's been doing it so far. (Although I"m obviously only giving pitches and not the rhythmic values that ABC would normally include...)

Code: Select all
K:D

D E F E D E F F E D

Hints if you need 'em:

• That K:D means we're in the key of D major, so let's sharp those F's folks!
  • This is not the melody of the song but rather the main instrumental riff. It's not really played exactly the same every time by every instrument--above is a good "average".
  • An accordion is probably the most prominent instrument in the riff in the original recording and in a popular cover version. (Some might not call it an accordion though.)
  • I happened to see the accordionist who played this (on both versions) perform live last night, which inspired my choosing this. This song was played, of course. Apparently it is the most frequently-requested.
JeffJetton

Expert
Expert

Postby Glenn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Looks like we are developing a sort of TAB notation here [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA
Glenn

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby debra » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:40 am

JeffJetton wrote:...This is not the melody of the song but rather the main instrumental riff. It's not really played exactly the same every time by every instrument--above is a good "average".

It may be another song I don't know (there are many more songs I don't know) but recognizing a song based on the instrumental riff instead of the melody... it proves to be a challenge. I can "play" the riff in my head easily but I cannot imagine the melody to go with it. Sorry.
(There is a similar riff but it is in minor, and that's for Music by John Miles, but for the riff in major I think I have to pass this time.)
debra

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub