V-Accordion on an airplane

Re: V-Accordion on an airplane

Postby JIM D. » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi Brandi; I have traveled with accordions in the past and have used 3 different methods. (1) I have borrowed a heavy duty flight case from a friend musician and flew it as baggage. (2) If staying for more than 3 days, I will pack it and send it by UPS to my destination (insured ) both ways. (3) this might not apply to most without accordion repair skills, but I have disassembled the accordion and taken with me in 3 small boxes. Unfortunately with past experience of airline baggage handling, I'm afraid these guys are capable breaking an anvil if shipped.
Owner,Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA
JIM D.

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby TomBR » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:33 pm

JIM D. wrote:I'm afraid these guys are capable breaking an anvil if shipped.

Nice one Jim.

I always take mine into the cabin! :D
TomBR

Superstar
Superstar

Postby Soulsaver » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:58 am

Well if it was just for practice, I'd take a FR3 which I think maybe will do hand baggage weight & dims.... But I guess Brandy's question is specifically about her Roland FR8.
Can you download your settings to a USB stick and upload them to a hired instrument when you get there? Be cheaper than a 2nd seat....
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JIM D. » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:59 am

You can load all your personal settings on a flash drive from your "X" model Roland and then insert it into another "X" model Roland and then play it as your own. You can also load your settings and programs on a flash drive - sent it to someone else by computer emal file - and they can install it to their own flash drive - and install it in their own Roland. :tup:
Owner,Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA
JIM D.

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby BrandyD » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:55 pm

Thank you all for the info!

I like the idea of renting one and uploading my settings!!! There happens to be an Roland dealer out there in the city I'm flying into and out of! May need to make friends with them over the next few months.

Jim D - I am NOT going to take this brand new beautiful instrument apart!!! I've never taken an accordion apart, I'd be afraid to do that even with my acoustic!

thanks everyone!!!

Brandy
BrandyD

Star
Star

Postby maugein96 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:09 pm

The only thing with reeds I'd take on a plane is a harmonica. Buying another seat is fine, but if your accordion case is too big to fit on a seat they'll not allow you to bring it into the cabin. Different airlines have different rules and here in Europe there are one or two that will not allow anything bigger than a harmonica to go in the cabin with you.

I brought a bouzouki from Greece to UK last year and the airline said it was too dangerous to put in the overhead lockers, which are only for "safe" items like flimsy plastic bags full of glass bottles of duty free booze. It cost me £65 for the instrument to be "placed" in the hold, and it miraculously survived the journey intact, except for a couple of dents to the body of the instrument. I complained to the airline but got absolutely no joy, as I was deemed to have "failed to comply with their conditions of carriage". Some airlines would have allowed me to put it in the overhead locker in the cabin, but not the one I flew with.

If I had arrived with an accordion at the airport I would have asked to borrow a 10lb hammer and put it through the instrument before throwing it in the trash, as like Jim D says, baggage handlers are capable of breaking just about anything.
maugein96

Superstar
Superstar

Postby TomBR » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:37 pm

maugein96 wrote:The only thing with reeds I'd take on a plane is a harmonica.

:D
Fair enough! I have flown plenty of times with concertinas and melodica in hand luggage - no probs! Glad to say security at Dublin airport usually recognise a concertina on the x-ray - it would be disappointing if they didn't.

Brings to mind a couple of, admittedly limited, options if the main objective of travelling with a (piano) accordion is practice. Most melodicas have key width that is close to standard accordion. So do some electronic keyboards such as the Casio SA-46, which have the advantage of being playable through headphones. OK it's a long way from having an accordion to play, and no left hand, but......
Price around £35 - you can get a "melodica" for less.
TomBR

Superstar
Superstar

Postby Soulsaver » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:30 am

If you're gigging or competing you'll need the concert instrument - but I think if it's for 'keeping your hand in' you do have options: FR3 as mentioned above. Or a 72bass or light 96 or compact. I believe at least 2 of which I'm confident will do hand baggage.
I'm going to the NAO event in April where there'll be several continental European players. I'd enquire but I'm sure they've driven and ferried over which will be an option for many parts of Europe.
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby BrandyD » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:29 pm

I was hoping to play at least one gig. If I found a way to safely get my accordion out there, I would have looked for more gigs.

thanks all,

Brandy
BrandyD

Star
Star

Postby blisterpeanuts » Mon May 04, 2015 4:17 pm

I'm thinking of buying my friend's FR1X for this very reason, so I won't need to risk them confiscating my FR3X when I board. Although, in years past, I have flown multiple times with my old Bugari which is roughly same dimensions as the 3X, and it's never been a problem putting it overhead. Unfortunately, the 8X is larger and therefore more problematical -- has anyone any experience with whether an 8X fits in the average overhead compartment?

I hate the airlines. Some day I'm going to start my own: Blisterpeanuts Accordion Airways. There will always be enough cabin space for your accordion, fiddle, or French horn! Plus there will be a couple of rehearsal cabins behind coach. If you do need to check an instrument, you will hand-carry it on the tarmac to the cargo bay and fit it in a padded compartment yourself, then close it and lock it. No one else touches it.

Oh, and meals: choice of burgers/fries, sushi, and veggie cuisine at every meal!
blisterpeanuts

Novice
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Digital & Midi Accordions