V-Accordion on an airplane

For the modern ones among us.
JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: V-Accordion on an airplane

Post by JIM D. » Mon May 04, 2015 5:49 pm

The FR-5, FR-5b, FR-7, FR-7b , FR-7x, FR-7xb, FR-8x , and FR-8xb will not fit in a overhead.
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA (USA)

Keymn
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Keymn » Tue May 16, 2017 3:20 am

Check this link on flying with musical instruments. I fit my fr7 in overhead with soft case.

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing ... el-musical" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Tue May 16, 2017 10:49 am

Still a popular problem, and the fact is that a V-Accordion is a bit better suited for flights in the cargo hold better than an acoustic (no need to block the bass mechanism, for example).

Anyone have any thoughts on using a Pelican case as a solution?

[BBvideo 560,340]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sz39oc5O7Gw[/BBvideo]
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Howie
Expert
Expert

Post by Howie » Tue May 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Thanks for the youtube link Jerry. It's encouraging that he mentions a dozen flights with that case. The photographers and tech guys I know swear by Pelican cases, I've not heard a bad word spoken of them yet.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Wed May 17, 2017 1:55 am

Howie wrote:Thanks for the youtube link Jerry. It's encouraging that he mentions a dozen flights with that case. The photographers and tech guys I know swear by Pelican cases, I've not heard a bad word spoken of them yet.
Yes, the Pelican cases are fantastic, but make sure you get the later ones, the ones with the pressure equalization portal and the better quality clasps. Here, it is wise to spend the extra to get the best case possible.

This case is in my future for sure. :)

EMan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by EMan » Wed May 17, 2017 11:10 pm

For what it's worth, I just recently went through this consternation. I live in Florida and am playing at the Cotati Accordion Festival in Sonoma County in CA in August. I examined the following methods

1. Ship the accordion to someone out there UPS/Fedex and then pick it up when I get there This was a good possibility because we know that the accordions are shipped from Castelfidardo either UPS or Fedex, with the basses blocked and I don't think there are many problems at all. The little problem was I don't know anyone there to ship it to and I didn't want to take a chance shipping it to someone I didn't know well enough to trust. Another issue with this was that in order to insure it getting there in a timely fashion, I would be w/o my accordion for 4-5 days prior to leaving the east coast then again 4-5 days after I returned. I didn't like all the cons on this one.

2. Buy the accordion a ticket and have it sit next to me. I had a conversation with a ticket agent for Delta airlines and discussed this with her. She told me that Delta's regulations did not have an issue with this, provided it fit in the seat and was able to have the seat belt around it. Honestly, my Borsini is a 5/5 and when in the case, that might be an issue, particularly if I get a flight attendant that wants to nit pick. My Borsini, also, BTW, will not fit in the overhead bin in any type of case, unless I use the accordion shrinker on it ! LOL! In addition the flight changes planes at LAX. Very often when airlines make connections, they'll make the second shorter leg with a feeder airline ( not always their planes) and that airline might have a rule against the accordion in the seat. That has happened and been documented by a couple of cello players a few years ago. I addressed this with the airline and they said that the other airline connecting to Sonoma County airport didn't have an issue, but she didn't work for them. One non stop flight.....not too bad. A flight with a connection could be disastrous. Imagine getting to your stop and they tell you that you cannot bring your instrument on, even though you bought it a ticket. I'd flip out. Further with all the overbooking, I wonder who/what would get booted off the airplane if they really needed the seat. I know this all sounds rather paranoid, but I think it is also a bit of reality. Baggage handlers for the airlines think they are doing an olympic event. I would never check my accordion.

4. Luckily a friend that I met there last year, who has a music store in Eureka, CA ( about 8 hours north of Sonoma) offered to bring a new Dino Baffetti down for me to use for the festival.
That seemed like the most logical way to resolve the issue and was a lucky break for me.

Granted that is not going to help you, but if I had to pick from the first two, I would block the basses and ship UPS/FDX if you could manage the time. If not and the trip was non stop, I would buy it a ticket and sit it right next to me. If it does have a connection, I would call both airlines and try to be as safe as possible.

Sorry, this was such a long reply, but, as I said, I just finished this exercise in futility about a month ago.

Ed

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Glenn » Thu May 18, 2017 6:36 am

Ed,
I'd be wary of solution 2 if it's Delta Airlines as they may well drag your accordion off the plane and kick two of its keys in :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

Keymn
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Keymn » Mon May 29, 2017 10:22 am

Hey,
This could happen to you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pGBEuy8oFlw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keymn
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Keymn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:43 pm

JIM D. wrote:The FR-5, FR-5b, FR-7, FR-7b , FR-7x, FR-7xb, FR-8x , and FR-8xb will not fit in a overhead.
The Fr4x fits perfect in the overhead...
Attachments
IMG_0925.JPG

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:17 pm

If the 4x can do this, then an 8x should be able to as well, no? Anyone know the height difference (height from bass to treble direction) of the two?