Speakers

For the modern ones among us.
Rhelsing
Novice
Novice

Speakers

Post by Rhelsing » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:36 am

Any recommendations on a good speaker for playing gigs. I have an Elka Midi II now with an Concerto on order. The speakers I have for th house are nice but are not going to handle transport well. Looking for something easy to transport but will still provide good sound.

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Speakers

Post by JIM D. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:11 am

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Spacestation3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ---
Just got one recently and although pricey, the unit is perfect for portability and sound and volume is fantastic. It actually outperforms the 100w Peavey and Roland amps I've used for years. :tup:
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA (USA)

Rhelsing
Novice
Novice

Post by Rhelsing » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:25 am

Thank you, Jim. That looks interesting (good video on it also). Do you use a subwoofer with it?

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:32 am

You can use a subwoofer but the whole idea here is the portability of this one unit and it's performance in a small package.
I must say it look's small but the little bugger weigh's in at 40 pounds and it pumps a great bass.
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA (USA)

Rhelsing
Novice
Novice

Post by Rhelsing » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:16 am

Perfect! I agree, a subwoofer is just one more thing to haul along. Thank k you very much.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Before recommending, I would ask 2 questions:

1. Budget. What is the most you want to spend?

2. Intended use. Home or on the road professional? Current equipment, like mixers, amps? Desired quality like true stereo image or mono?

I have heard about the monitor that Jim mentions and it gets good reviews, but comparing it to other products and it looks way overpriced for a 100 watt single unit. For comparison, a Mackie Thump 15 weighs about the same, puts out 1,000 watts (no typo) and has a street price of $350 or for $200 more yoou can get a professional setup like a Bose L1 compact array that blows them both out of the water in terms of sound quality!

So, yes, definitely, more info is needed. :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:52 pm

JerryPH wrote:...For comparison, a Mackie Thump 15 weighs about the same, puts out 1,000 watts (no typo) and has a street price of $350 or for $200 more yoou can get a professional setup like a Bose L1 compact array that blows them both out of the water in terms of sound quality!

So, yes, definitely, more info is needed. :)
I have a very cheap box that I use for some small rehearsals for for "the real work" I fully rely on the Bose L1 (model 2) with tonematch engine. The L1 compact is of course much more compact and with lower volume should give you the same image quality. The L1 is the real deal for perfect accordion sound even in a concert hall.
So it really depends on budget, desired power, sound quality and compactness... more info is needed to suggest a solution.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)

Rhelsing
Novice
Novice

Post by Rhelsing » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Budget is not the issue - just what makes sense for playing outside the home. I am not tech savvy enough to understand how much difference 1000 v 100 watts means, and how that compares to what is most important to me. I guess my answer to that would be overal sound quality first, but closely behind that portability.

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Rhelsing wrote:Sorry for the delay in getting back. Budget is not the issue - just what makes sense for playing outside the home. I am not tech savvy enough to understand how much difference 1000 v 100 watts means, and how that compares to what is most important to me. I guess my answer to that would be overal sound quality first, but closely behind that portability.
For sound quality you cannot beat the Bose L1 model 2 with tonematch engine. It is also very transportable as it consists of 4 units (base, two half-poles, one bass speaker) that can be carried separately but of course the whole thing together is not small or light. So in terms of portability the Bose can be beaten.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)

Rhelsing
Novice
Novice

Post by Rhelsing » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Paul, does the ToneMatch come with accordion presets?