Speakers

Re: Speakers

Postby JerryPH » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Rhelsing wrote:Paul, does the ToneMatch come with accordion presets?

No, at least not in the documentation, and if you have enough disposable income to get an L1, I still would suggest you look elsewhere, for the simple reason that I know exactly how much better an Elka sounds in a stereo environment (I still have my Elka 83!).

The Bose L1's are fantastic for straight accordion in a MONO environment, but for the same money or less you can have a true stereo image and an excellent sound for accordion and other digital instruments... unless you want to purchase 2 L1's with ToneMatch, perhaps? In that case, I'd point you to a pair of Bose F1 if you want to pay for the Bose brand if you are considering new, or if you are convinced Bose is what you want, but at a budget level, a pair of Bose 802's with the equalizer is the sonic equal of the L1... just in stereo. This is what I use, a pair of Bose 802E's and I am on the lookout for a steal on another pair of 802's to add to the collection. I just recently missed a pair of "like new" 802's for $350Cdn, they were gone 30 minutes after being put on the local Craigslist. The deals are out there!

If you want good powered speakers, the QSC K12 are excellent and Electro-Voice 15in Live X is even better, for about 1/2 the price or less, of the Bose L1's and you'd have to have near magical ears to be able to tell which is better sounding. ;)
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Rhelsing » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:06 am

OK - dumb question but will ask it anyway. I assume powered speakers are better?
Rhelsing

Novice
Novice

Postby JerryPH » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:43 am

Rhelsing wrote:OK - dumb question but will ask it anyway. I assume powered speakers are better?

No such thing as a dumb question, and no, powered speakers are not better nor worse, just different.

Where a powered speaker means added cost thanks to needing one amp per speaker, therefore one less thing to carry.
Upgrading to a better amp is not possible. If amp blows, you replace speaker and amp = more money. In the case of a Bose L1 or any single speaker unit, if it fails, you are totally screwed. In the case of a stereo setup, you go mono, but at least are functional.

External amp means you can upgrade amp when desired or get a higher quality one. Cost per speaker is less as you purchase a single stereo amp and speakers with no amp. You carry one more item, an amp. I prefer and chose the separate amp as amp technologies improve and prices drop over time.

Each side has advantages and disadvantages. Make a choice and enjoy the music. :)
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Rhelsing » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:41 am

Thanks. Got time to make the choice as new accordion doesn't get here until May. Meanwhile, getting back in shape with a really old, but really nice, Panjet. Love the Midi stuff, but sometimes just a good, reed instrument is the right instrument.
Rhelsing

Novice
Novice

Postby JerryPH » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:31 am

New accordion AND new electronics... Happy days! :D :D
Looking forward ti seeing and hearing it in the future!
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby losthobos » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 pm

Watkins Songbird all the way...hand made for the job
Anyone who doesn't know who Charlie Watkins was run a Google search...some character :D
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...
losthobos

Star
Star

Postby debra » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Rhelsing wrote:Paul, does the ToneMatch come with accordion presets?

Yes, the ToneMatch engine comes with an accordion preset. When I am amplifying an accordion I always use that preset as it sounds better than the default neutral "bypass" setting. I don't know exactly everything this preset does, but it for instance increases the volume for high frequencies, which does not sound so good up close but when you are at a distance, meaning where the audience is, it sounds great, very natural, like the sound of a real accordion but a really loud one. When I play the bass accordion I do not use the preset as I then don't want the emphasis on higher frequencies.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Superstar
Superstar

Postby torch » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:11 am

JIM D. wrote:You can use a subwoofer but the whole idea here is the portability of this one unit and it's performance in a small package.
I must say it look's small but the little bugger weigh's in at 40 pounds and it pumps a great bass.

They have a new model 32 pounds or so. It is exactly the same as the old model in terms of sound quality. The SS3 is a very interesting animal. If one needs a stereo setup, this does it very well. I think it really shines when you play with stereo backup music or an arranger. All the various instruments are are nicely "spread" around in a 3 demension.
torch

Novice
Novice

Previous

Return to Digital & Midi Accordions