Roland FR-3s and uneven bellow operation

Re: Roland FR-3s and uneven bellow operation

Postby Nuuksu » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm not owner of Roland instrument, but it is very likely possible that only Roland repair center can help. For Roland FR-3S this is listed in official specs on website
Real pneumatic detection of bellows pressure, high-resolution pressure sensor

For Roland FR-3xb this info is on specs
New sensor for the detection of bellows pressure (high-resolution pressure sensor), Bellows resistance regulator: wheel with fine adjustment

They may have same sensor, but at the same time they may have different sensors because FR-3S and FR-3x(b) are probably different instruments. FR-3S is older something from beginnig era of their V-Acc. I did quick search and didn't find technicians manual for these instruments, manuals for technicians usually list these hidden modes and parameters.

I don't reccomend adjust these trimmer pot before it is really needed, these things just don't go easily out of calibration. These usually adjusted only once in factory when sensor is installed and output voltage calibration is needed. There may be dirt and dust in places where it shouldn't be, nicotine is also very sticky and nasty thing, I really enjoy cigars but not near my accordion :)
Nuuksu

Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Acon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 pm

I finally found the solution for the uneven bellow operation issue on my FR3-Xb, and it's actually written on my owner's manual.

Hold the SET register and the USER PROGRAM button (NOT the USER register but the little round button near the Chorus and Reverb knobs) before you power on the instrument. This will reset your bellow sensor for any abnormal bellow behavior.

There was no "DON" or any other message shown on the LED panel but the issue was gone right after I did it. Not sure if it works for the FR3-s too but worth trying.

Now I can start enjoying playing this digital accordion. :b
Acon

Improver
Improver

Postby JIM D. » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:37 am

Absolutely fantastic what can be learned from just reading an owners manual. Most customers get one, very few read them.:tup:
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA
JIM D.

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JerryPH » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:31 am

JIM D. wrote:Absolutely fantastic what can be learned from just reading an owners manual. Most customers get one, very few read them.:tup:

Actually, I had read through the owners manual of the 8X through about 5 times before I even owned my 8X... to tell you the truth, I learned more in 30 minutes with the accordion than I did reading the manual 5 times. Roland really needs lessons on how to make a properly understandable users guide. ;)
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Glenn » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:38 am

JerryPH wrote:Roland really needs lessons on how to make a properly understandable users guide. ;)
Here, here. I second that!
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA
Glenn

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Troy_79 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:47 pm

I finally got the pressure sensor of my FR-3s calibrated. The problem with this older model is that there is no calibration routine available for the user, as it is on the FR-3x. So I had to open up the instrument, but the process was really simple. After getting good help on this forum and the yahoo-forum I did the following:

1. Turn on the FR-3s while holding down the register [SET] and Treble register [1]. The FR-3s enters "test mode".
2. The calibration value of the pressure sensor is visualized on the display (see the number changing while moving the bellow).
The value can be positive or negative. A red dot on the display will show that the value is negative.
3. Block the bellows with the bellows-holders.
4. Open the front grille (by the keys), unscrewing 4 screws and spot the trimmer/potentiometer called VR1 (grey component with small screw on it) on the PCB.
5. Adjust the trimmer until you get a value as near as possible to 0 (zero).

Before calibration the number on my accordion was about 35. I was able to get it down to 5 by adjusting the trimmer. And it solved the problem! :D The bellow operation is now nice and even.
Troy_79

Beginner
Beginner

Postby pentaprism » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Great, Troy. :b :ch

Glad it worked out for you.
pentaprism

Expert
Expert

Postby JerryPH » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:06 am

Wow, good job in finding that solution !!
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Acon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:57 am

Well done Troy! Hope you don't have to do that again! {}
Acon

Improver
Improver

Previous

Return to Digital & Midi Accordions