FR-4X!!!

For the modern ones among us.
blisterpeanuts
Novice
Novice

Re: FR-4X!!!

Post by blisterpeanuts » Thu May 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Keymn wrote:I bought a Fr4x battery holder as a spare. I did not realize the adapter cable that clips to battery pack and the Velcro looking strap should be purchased. This way you will have another battery pack ready, just plug it into the white square socket.
I took a piece of black ribbon from the sewing kit, sewed it to tightly fit over the battery pack with an end sticking out, and super glued it so it doesn't slide off. You can just leave the adapter cable in the accordion and swap only the battery holder. Seems easier than unplugging the white adapter end.

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Fri May 12, 2017 10:57 am

Why doesn't Roland build in on-board charging?
I suspect because of the risk of batteries exploding/combusting during charging - they don't want the $4k warranty claim/argument/reputation loss for a ruined instrument 'cos of a $10 component fault.
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

blisterpeanuts
Novice
Novice

Post by blisterpeanuts » Fri May 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Soulsaver wrote:Why doesn't Roland build in on-board charging?
I suspect because of the risk of batteries exploding/combusting during charging - they don't want the $4k warranty claim/argument/reputation loss for a ruined instrument 'cos of a $10 component fault.
The FR-8x does have on-board charging, so probably it's more a matter of cost and design issues, rather than safety/liability. Just my guess.

pentaprism
Expert
Expert

Post by pentaprism » Fri May 12, 2017 6:00 pm

blisterpeanuts wrote:... probably it's more a matter of cost and design issues.
It's the cost, probably $5 more.

Note that FR-7/FR-5 and FR-7x have on-board charging too. The charger is in the foot unit and the connection is awkward, but it's there nonetheless.

And it's also the possible liability.

The accordions that have on-board charging use customized battery pack (even though the pack can be assembled using generic battery cells). Roland test their battery pack with their charger. If a user assembles his/her own battery pack, chances are that (s)he knows what (s)he is doing. Also, if charging a non-Roland battery pack melts the accordion, Roland is not liable.

On the other hand, FR-1, 1x, 3, 3x, .... use common AA-size battery cells. If they had on-board charging, it would be possible for a user to put in damaged/questionable NiMh batteries that heat up during charging and melt the accordion. This would be a messy situation for Roland.

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Fri May 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Yes the FR-5,7 &7x batt. packs are charged by the pedal but the advantage here is the heat while the 24 batt.pack is being charged is 90% contained in the pedal.
The pedal charges the batt. pack to 28 volts (3bars on the screen 26 volts 2bars on the screen and then 24 volts 1bar on the screen). Now all FR-5,7,7x &8x models reduce the batt. voltage to 24 volts to operate. Reducing the voltage to 24 volts while in the accordion, causes heat (try using a fully charged batt.pack) and while performing, you will find heat coming from the batt.plate until it comes down to 24 volts. For some 10 years now this batt.heat in the FR-5,7,&7x has not caused any electronic problems.

Now the 8x has the charger in the box and all the heat While charging is inside the box itself. So far so good, but I feel this internal heat will come back to haunt the 8x models.

I've posted on a previous post that although not in the owners manual -- NEVER NEVER perform while charging a "V" accordion 24 volt batt. is still inside the box !!!

And again the owners of models powered by AA's, NEVER NEVER recharge them while inside the box!! Rechargeable AA's have a history of exploding while charging and using this practice with a "V" accordion is just "Waiting For An Expensive Accident To Happen" :tup:
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA (USA)

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Glenn » Fri May 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Now you are frightening me Jim. Should I charge my 8x only when I can guarantee a nice stream of cool air playing over the instrument?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Fri May 12, 2017 10:41 pm

No, not to worry - but best to try to use the AC adapter for power (always runs the box cool) when AC is available and NEVER NEVER perform an 8x while charging.
Most all electronic musical instruments will fail from excessive heat applied.
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA (USA)

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Sat May 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Glenn wrote:Now you are frightening me Jim. Should I charge my 8x only when I can guarantee a nice stream of cool air playing over the instrument?
Not to worry Glenn, I believe that the 8x has a fairly slow charger. I say this because the last time I charged up my 8x, I had the battery cover off as it was charging so I could feel how hot it actually got and though it was drained low enough to simply have the 8x turn off and took 3.5 hours to recharge, the battery was warm but never overly hot. My AA batteries get hotter when in slow charge mode in an intelligent charger, so I have no worries about this aspect at all.
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Glenn » Sat May 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks for the practical test Jerry. Indeed a charge takes around 3 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

Keymn
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Keymn » Tue May 16, 2017 2:47 am

That elastic ribbon that goes around the fr4x battery pack. I purchased from Michaels.
Lt braided elastic #10152955
$1.99