BK-7m drums on V-Accordion

BK-7m drums on V-Accordion

Postby Matt Butcher » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:07 pm

This is a very specific request for help from some who uses a BK-7m expander with a Roland V-Accordion. I asked on the BK-7m forum, but I phrased it badly. The BK-7m expander has a Drums family of voices for the treble sound of the instrument. Within this are several different drum kits that can be selected as though they were voices. However whichever kit I select, the "voice" I get for the treble side is some kind of Latin kit that extends over the whole range of the right hand keyboard and is pretty great for what it is but does not include a lot of the sounds you would expect in a drum kit and does not correspond to the BK-7m manual.

I was wondering if someone who may already have a V-accordion and a BK-7m connected up, would be willing to try using one of these voices within the drums family on the treble keyboard for a minute and see whether the results sound like the selected kit or like a huge random bunch of Latin instruments. It would help me to know if the kits can be used or the problem is at my end. Please don't anyone spend long on it, and thank you very much in advance for any help.

One thing: I do appreciate there are many other ways to make drum sounds, ranging from the styles on the BK-7m to playing actual drums and percussions. Although you may think my question is a stupid one there's a reason behind it... thanks for your patience with me everyone...
Matt Butcher

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: BK-7m drums on V-Accordion

Postby JerryPH » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:19 am

Hey Matt, I have a BK and V, but I won't have time till perhaps Sunday to look at this (I am doing a big project at work and may have to go in on Sunday as well as Saturday), and I am still not 100% sure what you are asking, but can at least try for you.
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Matt Butcher » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:16 am

Jerry, thank you but please don't put yourself out - what I'm thinking of is a 2 minute job if the stuff is connected, and I only ask because there is a real reason at the moment. Maybe I could put a short video up. But i 100% understand if you don't have time, the offer is appreciated.
Matt Butcher

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Matt Butcher » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Apologies for wasting your time everyone and you can stand down Jerry but thank you for your offer of help. I had time to investigate today, which is rare. There are different kits on there. They don't sound like their names, most of the sounds are the same from one to the next, on the button accordion there is a big expanse in the middle that they filled with random Latin sounds (hence my confusion), there is a strange lack of kick drums and high hats, and they are strangely laid out, a lot of them with drums right down one end of the keyboard and cymbals right up the other, but there are different kits on there and that answers my question. Thanks for your patience everybody. They're touch sensitive... they sound better than you'd think...
Matt Butcher

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JerryPH » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Matt Butcher wrote:...you can stand down Jerry but thank you for your offer of help.... they sound better than you'd think...

Hah! Your timing is amazing. I just got home maybe 10 minutes ago and was going to come here to see what it was you wanted tested in this thread, and caught this.

Glad you found your answer before I gave you a wrong one... lol

Maybe I am a little less impressed as I have been listening to the drums of my old Ketron X4. The BK is awesome and I am happy to own one for sure, but it's not like "20 years of time and development" better than the Ketron X4, at least not to my ears.
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Matt Butcher » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:53 pm

If I was a pro drummer, I wouldn't be using these. For my needs now, they're better than I expected (there are some funny quirks, like touch sensitive is great, but when touch sensitivity triggers a completely different instrument that's just a bit mad). What I am using them for is a timekeeping role really - it ties in with some recent discussions on the forum. A group of 20-21 people meet regularly to play music - the standard varies a lot - so we need to keep it together: I look at the left hand of the leader (accordion), I play something simple, consistent and at the right volume and it has done wonders on bringing the less experienced players into time, without being 100% strict tempo, which would not be right for the music. If the idea of playing trad music with electronic drum sounds appals anyone, well fair enough but people playing out of time isn't traditional either!. Sometimes now small groups spin off from this and play somewhere. Then we don't use the electronic drums.
Matt Butcher

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JerryPH » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Matt Butcher wrote:If I was a pro drummer, I wouldn't be using these. For my needs now, they're better than I expected (there are some funny quirks, like touch sensitive is great, but when touch sensitivity triggers a completely different instrument that's just a bit mad).

Lots of good stuff in the BK, some wierd indeed. On a V-Accordion, menu 16.4 (set ALL to OFF), disables sending expression to the external MIDI expander, at least it does on my 8x. Also if you want to leave the bass and chording to the external device, press and hold any bass register for 3-4 seconds. Chord changes get sent but no bass or chord sounds escape from the accordion. To disable this feature, hit any bass register and it's all back.
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Matt Butcher » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:35 pm

Inventive, bizarre, random and clever features that would take some study to get to grips with. Probably there are some that no one will ever use. I realised I'm being a bit unfair: there are some of the sounds from the legendary 606 and 808 drum machines on there, which are definitely professional, so if anyone wants to recreate the sounds of late 80s early 90s dance music, live, not in strict tempo, using an accordion, then you'd be laughing.
Matt Butcher

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JerryPH » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:47 pm

... and yet it still has big gaps in it's game.

1 - little to no irish/Scottish programs
2 - the polka, march, tango ones are weak compared to the competiton

... that said, it has some good disco beats (that no one uses... lol), and if you can play "My Way" you have a setting just for that one song! :D {}
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Return to Digital & Midi Accordions