Forum software upgrade

Questions, queries and suggestions regarding the forum and its operation.
JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Forum software upgrade

Post by JerryPH » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:26 am

I am also really liking the look and feel of the board now too. It took me a few seconds to find where some things were, and I had to clean up my "signature" a bit, but it it's clean, easy and fast to use. I am enjoying it! :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Glenn » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 am

Interestingly the new Forum is seen by my office security as forbidden and is hence blocked. Annoying for me but maybe good as a security indicator for the forum. :?
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Glenn » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:18 am

Me again. I note that the new Forum is not available in Tapatalk. Does this update itself automatically or is there a requirement to register it by the Forum owner?
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

Knobby
Admin
Admin

Post by Knobby » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Glenn wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:18 am
Me again. I note that the new Forum is not available in Tapatalk. Does this update itself automatically or is there a requirement to register it by the Forum owner?
Tapatalk hasn't been installed yet.

At the moment I am not installing anything other than the basics to get the forum up and running. I need to see what happens over the next few days with regards to the hacking. Once I'm fairly certain we're safe, I'll start adding other features.
Hohner Vox 4P, Hohner Tango II, Galotta Continent. I just wish I could play them!

Howie
Expert
Expert

Post by Howie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:51 pm

I like the new look too.

Knobby, if you're lucky you may have given the hackers the slip - if they were taking advantage of a vulnerability in an older version of forum software. Otherwise, if they are brute forcing your admin password, either for the forum or your hosting control panel - this is why I like to run things on my own servers. I have scripts that monitor failed auth attempts at admin and automatically block their IP.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:35 am

Brute force attacks are fairly easy to beat using 2 simple steps:
1 - use compex passwords with uppercase, lower case numbers and symbols.
2 - change the passwords iften, like once a month.

Even if someone brute forced the passwords, it takes time to crack a good one. A nice complex password takes a touch over 2 months to crack, if you use a strong computer and dedicate it to a singular database 24/7. By the time a cracker is about 60% of the way through, the password is changed and it has to start over from scratch. Change a pw once a month and hackers NEVER get in that way again... ever.
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Howie
Expert
Expert

Post by Howie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:28 am

And although some of us take this as common knowledge, it's not - our passwords shouldn't be a "word". Even changing a letter to a symbol or number isn't enough, so p@ssw0rd won't cut it. But then how to remember a complex password that's not a word?

One easy trick is to come up with a sentence or two that is very easy to remember. Then use the first letter from each word. By all means then substitute or add numbers, symbols etc. The end result should be a strong password that is easily remembered.

At my work the policy is a password change regularly, you can't re-use old ones, and have to mix case, numbers and symbols. Unfortunately this forces a lot of people to end up using passwords they can't remember, or by the time they've remembered it has to change again - so I keep seeing post-it notes stuck to monitors and keyboards with passwords on them! Not very secure.

attila57
Improver
Improver

Post by attila57 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Hello Knobby,

Beautiful new look, thank you! :tup:
What I can see straightaway is that the layout is much clearer, and in the box where I'm typing now the letters are much larger, easier to see.

Attila

Knobby
Admin
Admin

Post by Knobby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 pm

attila57 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:41 pm
Hello Knobby,

Beautiful new look, thank you! :tup:
What I can see straightaway is that the layout is much clearer, and in the box where I'm typing now the letters are much larger, easier to see.

Attila
Thanks for you comments - glad you like it.

The passwords for the hosting and forum ACP are strong passwords. For additional security I have implemented 2 factor authentication on the hosting account, so even if they crack the password they will need my mobile phone for the additional security code (which changes every 30 seconds).

I've also added the forum to Cloudflare which should also help with security. If they still get in after this lot then I give up!! :hb
Hohner Vox 4P, Hohner Tango II, Galotta Continent. I just wish I could play them!

Morne
Expert
Expert

Post by Morne » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for all the hard work, Knobby.
Knobby wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 pm
If they still get in after this lot then I give up!! :hb
If they keep coming back, maybe you should auto-play this tune when the website opens:
http://accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4692
:lol:
Glenn wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 am
Interestingly the new Forum is seen by my office security as forbidden and is hence blocked. Annoying for me but maybe good as a security indicator for the forum. :?
Are you accessing it using https or http? The former seems to have a security certificate issue.