Hello from Leicester

Re: Hello from Leicester

Postby Soulsaver » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:30 pm

Matt Butcher wrote:Ah Serenata! That gets played regularly in a cafe/bar in Kings Heath...

On accordion?... Which café bar, Matt?
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Matt Butcher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:41 am

It's Fletchers in Kings Heath, Ingrid does a short spot there once or twice a week, amongst some guitarists, all very informal. It's great that Serenata lives on. They don't do ice cream! A missed opportunity. Say hello to Rosemary from Ingrid, they will remember each other.
Matt Butcher

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Happy girl » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:30 am

For those interested, http://www.accordions.com/articles/bca.aspx will explain the history of Francis Wright, owner & founder of the Charnwood Music Publishing Company, & his daughter Rosemary Wright AmusTCL, AmusLCM, LBCA(TD), ABCA(TD), LBCA as Principle.

You can also view videos of Rosemary playing her accordion on you tube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +accordion

I have collected a lot of pieces & technical exercises by Francis Wright over the years, & indeed, Rosemary also composed & had her work published within the Charnwood music group.

I cannot recall Francis writing SERENATA & can find no reference to this being his work, this grade 6 piece is attributed to G. Romani, but then, m33ksy, you are in a very good position to verify that fact. I have the piece in question bought it in the 70’s, & if you want to buy it today it will cost an arm & a leg as Charnwood sold to a French company & is now operated from America. Shipping will cost just as much as the piece itself!

Rosemary was one of my examiners in the 70’s. I was also lucky enough to attend one of their Accordion weekends held at their home in Leicester where I remember the lovely Francis Wright, wearing his very smart dark suit, sitting the whole time embedded in his chair quietly taking everything in with great enjoyment whilst his beautiful elegant daughter Rosemary took charge of proceedings. It was on this occasion Rosemary played so beautifully her father’s interpretation of Minuet from ‘Berenecs’; It was magical.

Thanks for the memories m33ksy, I am not surprised that you are making good progress; as far as I am concerned there is no other teacher more experienced, popular & well loved as Rosemary; she is still to this day ‘Accordion Royalty’ to many people.
Attachments
qw.jpg
Happy girl

Expert
Expert

Postby Matt Butcher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:02 am

I just checked and there are two Serenatas published by Charnwood, one is this one, one is by Francis Wright but it's from a book of several pieces by Francis Wright ( still available from Trevani by the looks of it ).

But anyway I've got of the point of the thread which is to say Welcome to the Forum!
Matt Butcher

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Soulsaver » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:54 pm

Happy girl wrote:I have the piece in question bought it in the 70’s, & if you want to buy it today it will cost an arm & a leg as Charnwood sold to a French company & is now operated from America. Shipping will cost just as much as the piece itself!

Unless something has changed lately, Charnwood Publishing is still run from UK. It wasn't sold to a French company - it's owned by Raymond & Anna Bodell who are English, but live in France. He and his family are hugely well known & respected in the accordion & wider music community.
http://www.accordions.com/bodell/
The last piece I bought from them was posted in England at the correct Royal Mail postal charge.
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby m33ksy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Wow this is all really interesting, shows how small the accordion world is or at least seems to be! I like it. Matt Butcher I will indeed say hello to Rosemary from Ingrid.

Happy girl that is such a lovely thing! I feel even more privileged and honoured now than I did before to be being taught by one of the best! I will certainly make the most of it and she is indeed a great lady.
m33ksy

Novice
Novice

Postby Happy girl » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:13 am

Happy girl Wrote: I cannot recall Francis writing SERENATA & can find no reference to this being his work, this grade 6 piece is attributed to G. Romani, but then, m33ksy, you are in a very good position to verify that fact. I have the piece in question bought it in the 70’s, & if you want to buy it today it will cost an arm & a leg as Charnwood sold to a French company & is now operated from America. Shipping will cost just as much as the piece itself!

Soulsaver wrote: Unless something has changed lately, Charnwood Publishing is still run from UK. It wasn't sold to a French company - it's owned by Raymond & Anna Bodell who are English, but live in France. He and his family are hugely well known & respected in the accordion & wider music community.
http://www.accordions.com/bodell/

Matt Butcher wrote: I just checked and there are two Serenatas published by Charnwood, one is this one, one is by Francis Wright but it's from a book of several pieces by Francis Wright.

I stand corrected on both counts; thank you Soulsaver, you are right about the ownership of Charnwood Music, & yes Matt Butcher, there are two Serenatas published by Charnwood by Francis Wright & it is from a book of several pieces called ‘5 Divertimenti for accordion’. This grade 3-4 gem has been languishing in my collection also since the 70’s & is still available to buy today from Charnwood priced £3 40p.
They are all lovely jolly pieces, the last one. Pepi Polka was one of my grade 4 exam pieces, so m33ksy, no need to check with Rosemary, members on this forum are very sharp & know their stuff!

By the way m33ksy, you are in very good company. Rosemary also teaches piano, flute, clarinet, saxophone, oboe, bassoon, recorder, violin as well as theory. Trumpet is not on her list however, but I wouldn’t be surprised…. As you aim aspire eventually to play as part of a small group, either all accordionists or with other instrumentalists you are in a very fortunate position; Rosemary will probably know more suitable connections for you than anyone else in your area.

Good luck m33ksy & may you have lots of enjoyment.
Attachments
Francis.jpg
Happy girl

Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to New on Here?