Hello from Leicester

Give us a clue - who, and where, are you?
m33ksy
Novice
Novice

Hello from Leicester

Post by m33ksy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:31 pm

Good evening all,

Firstly I'd like to say hello and what a great forum this is.

I joined the forum about a week ago and have been browsing through some posts and there is loads of great information.

I am from and live in Leicester, UK and am currently learning the piano accordion. I have been having weekly lessons for about 3 months now and I am happy with my progress so far, I can play some basic tunes and have the added advantage that I can to an acceptable level already read music due to having piano and trumpet lessons for a short while many years ago.

I am learning on a Hohner verdi II 96 bass which I think sounds great and i'm told it's a good size to learn on.

The music I would ultimately like to play is Folk,Jigs,reels and sea shanties etc. I also like some classical mainly waltzes.

I would also like to play as part of a small group either all acoordionists or other instrumentalists who are into similar music tastes. As well as going to meets and events to meet fellow accordionists.

As well as all this! I would like to learn more about the reapir and restoration of accordions and would one day like to restore a vintage accordion.

I look forward to chatting to you all and maybe even meeting some of you in the future.

Rob

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Hello from Leicester

Post by JerryPH » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi Rob, a warm welcome to you from the other side of the world. :)

I think you will like this site, many good and knowledgeable people here and even the ones that say they are not as good or knowledgeable, still have more than enough passion to fill a barn, it's an amazing group of people here!
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi Rob Welcome, sounds like you're progressing well. :tup:
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Glenn » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 am

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum.
Looks like you have quite a list of things you want to do with your accordion. Should bring you a lot of pleasure (and frustration and new friends). Starting with a teacher is a great way to go what system of music books are you using?
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

m33ksy
Novice
Novice

Post by m33ksy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:43 am

Hi Glenn, thank you very much. I am being taught my Rosemary Wright and using books compiled by her and her father (Francis Wright) containing some existing music and some written by her and her father.

losthobos
Star
Star

Post by losthobos » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Greetings...and interesting little nugget there...i've met Rosemary many times but never knew Francis was her father... he wrote a lovely piece of ice cream/ bubble gum music called Serenata that an old boy I knew years back used to play for his wife whenever she came in the room bearing the teapot and kitkats..good luck studying..
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:30 pm

"...used to play for his wife whenever she came in the room bearing the teapot and kitkats"
What lovely picture that painted in my head! :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

m33ksy
Novice
Novice

Post by m33ksy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Oh wow that's amazing losthobos :) what is your name? I'll mention you to her on Friday when I have my next lesson :) and send your compliments on her fathers music :) she will be most pleased.

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Matt Butcher » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:47 pm

Ah Serenata! That gets played regularly in a cafe/bar in Kings Heath...

losthobos
Star
Star

Post by losthobos » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Do they serve ice cream ;)
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...