Question About a Brand

Give us a clue - who, and where, are you?
lttlbrd
Beginner
Beginner

Question About a Brand

Post by lttlbrd » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi all! I have been wanting to play the accordion for ages (read: about six years now) and when I stumbled upon a used piano accordion for ~$150 at a pawn shop this past week, I bought it on an impulse. Its in good condition, and with my extremely untrained ear, it seems to play just fine. I'm very excited to learn how to play it, and I've been practicing as much as I can with my university's final exams going on! My one concern is this: when I google the maker of the accordion, I can't find anything on them.

Its a Sylvania piano accordion, and all I can find when I look it up is a "vintage" pinterest board. Its been very frustrating, and confusing as well, as there should be something about it, considering the mass of information on the internet. I was hoping someone here would know something about it! It would be useful to know something about the brand, and how good the make of the instrument is. (And whether or not I overpaid for it, lol.)

Thank you in advance!

landro
Expert
Expert

Re: Question About a Brand

Post by landro » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:12 pm

Impulse buying is not usually a good thing but being ignorant of what to look for in an instrument makes it even worse , not to mention buying one from a pawn shop.
Let`s hope you got lucky. If you could post an image of it , that would help immensely.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Well, I suppose the more diplomatic (lol) way of saying things is that speaking in general, buying an accordion from a pawn shop is likely one of the worst places to get one, HOWEVER, this is your first accordion, you are just starting out, and it's not the end of the world. That said, there are some things that you could have done to protect yourself from making a purchase that would potentially cost you more in repairs than the actual value of the accordion itself.

All that said, enthusiasm and a little luck can trump most of the small issues, time, experience, a little grim determination and money takes care of all the rest. :)

As requested, post a picture of your accordion here, there are many people that will be willing to offer an estimate of the value. The odds are slightly against that, but who knows, maybe you got the deal of the century.

By the way, welcome to the forum! :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

landro
Expert
Expert

Post by landro » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:48 pm

[quote="JerryPH"]Well, I suppose the more diplomatic (lol) way of saying things is that speaking in general, buying an accordion from a pawn shop is likely one of the worst places to get one,

I`ll try to be less harsh in the future.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:36 am

I'm sure it was not meant as harshly as it sounded, you were just speaking from the heart! :)

If anything, it just shows how passionate we are here when it comes to the accordion.
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Glenn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Glenn » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:34 am

Indeed welcome to the forum.
$150 isn't much for an accordion so no harm done at all. If it feeds your enthusiasm then it's money well spent. If it frustrates you due to serious technical issues then it may unnecessary dampen your enthusiasm which would be a shame.

Good luck with the exams by the way.
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:00 am

lttlbrd wrote:Hi all! I have been wanting to play the accordion for ages (read: about six years now) and when I stumbled upon a used piano accordion for ~$150 at a pawn shop this past week, I bought it on an impulse. Its in good condition, and with my extremely untrained ear, it seems to play just fine...
Best of luck with your accordion!
$150 is a very good price for any (reasonable size?) accordion that "seems to play just fine".
Many instruments are "rebadged" by accordion dealers and then have a name you cannot find much information on.
Never mind, just enjoy your instrument, and welcome to the accordion world!
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)

lttlbrd
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lttlbrd » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:43 am

Here is a picture of it. Sorry about the quality, all I've got is my phone's camera!

JeffJetton
Expert
Expert

Post by JeffJetton » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Yeah, accordions are one of those catch-22 things where you almost have to just go ahead and buy one in order to learn enough about them so that you know how to buy one! (I paid $300 for my first "I don't know anything about accordions" accordion, so you did a lot better than me.)

Anyway, the history of accordion sales in the US is full of an astounding number of brands. As Paul said, it was not uncommon for a music shop or accordion school to have an accordion factory in Italy or somewhere make a bunch of accordions with their own custom brand on them. If I were doing this 60 years ago, I might've been selling "Jetton" accordions to my students!