Accordionly Afflicted...

Re: Accordionly Afflicted...

Postby Matt Butcher » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:31 pm

HI and welcome. When Pippa was on this forum we mentioned folk metal bands from time to time, the likes of Finntroll. Is that along similar lines to what you might be playing?
Matt Butcher

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Mr Mark » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:19 pm

No actually, I have gotten away from metal almost completely. While I did see Korpiklanni last year (another metal act with an accordion) I am much more into folk things at this point. Although I do see my heavy influences coming through from time to time and will them flow as need be.

Specifically my accordion stylings and influence are the likes of the following;

Wendy McNeill
Geoff Berner
Jet Black Pearl
Scott Dunbar

Of all the folk metal I have heard, Eluveite are definitely my favourite, and the best of the lot. However it is not for their metal that I am a fan, rather their acoustic efforts. Some real groovy hurdy gurdy in there.

Thank you for the welcome Matt.
Last edited by Mr Mark on Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Mark

Novice
Novice

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Mr Mark,

I'm glad that you are leaning toward Folk Music, as it is a genre that I am personally involved in.

Our main weekly Folk Club is of the "sing around" kind, where everyone takes their turn to play whatever instrument they have dragged through the door. At least 60% of the instruments are guitars, but we do see a wide variety of other musical instruments, including a dulcimer.

I note that you are considering playing with other accordionists, and hope that you manage to achieve this goal. To my mind, it is better to play in a group which entertains a wider variety of instruments, and I would urge you to seek out Folk Clubs in your area.

We have a guy who plays Classical Spanish Guitar, and he is absolutely superb. He likes my accordion, so my respect for his ability is reciprocated. The beauty of it is that we all make mistakes, but everyone just laughs about it. There exists an atmosphere of love and mutual respect in our little community, with a great deal of humour thrown in.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Postby Mr Mark » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 am

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the warm welcome and your feedback on getting out there and jamming.

I am waiting on a few things before I get out there amongst the crowd (long story), but I hear what you are saying about variety of instruments in the mix as opposed to just accordions. Probably my best experience thus far was with a guitar player I don't really know, however that jam fell apart about 12 months ago for various reasons - but the mutual respect and admiration was there so it worked. I think overall I like smaller groups of players - in all my experiences be it myself on guitar or accordion, I have found myself most comfortable with a bass and percussionist, who are more or less simple in their approach, but solid. I am not close minded though and am willing to give anything a go at least once, you never know what might turn out - there have been decent experiences with the likes of banjos and mandolins as well...I wouldn't rule out anything brass either, but I probably won't start there :lol: . But definitely folk and acoustic!

A lot of it boils down to ensuring I am spending my time as wisely as possible, and respecting the time of others. Mistakes are meant to be made, so I don't fear making them as they might just make something better. Easy going, no rush, must have fun are prerequisites for sure!

Cheers,
Mark
Mr Mark

Novice
Novice

Previous

Return to New on Here?