Hi all! So Dakota USA here

Give us a clue - who, and where, are you?
SouthDakotan
Beginner
Beginner

Hi all! So Dakota USA here

Post by SouthDakotan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 pm

I sense that I am wayyyyy out of your neighborhood. I am in the central northern USA.

Just here to get some info on a box I inherited and am enjoying seeing my way around your forum! Nice set up and friendly users here!! Thx for letting me join!

EMan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Hi all! So Dakota USA here

Post by EMan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Welcome South Dakotan,

You've arrived in "accordionville" ! There is more knowledge roaming around this forum about free reed instruments than anywhere that I have even seen. I'm sure you'll get all your questions, and then some, answered 'round here.

Enjoy your time here !

Ed

Stephen Hawkins
Star
Star

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 am

South Dakotan,

A warm welcome from a very cold England.

I hope that you continue to visit this forum, and look forward to reading your future contributions.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by donn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:56 am

On hearing that it's cold in England, I checked ... Swindon, Leicester (why not?) - 31°F. Sioux Falls, South Dakota - 31°F. Quite a surprise to see the two come out the same, I have a hunch it's a warm day in Sioux Falls but could be wrong.

Stephen Hawkins
Star
Star

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:39 am

Donn,

I never used to feel the cold, but I guess age accounts for these things. At any rate, my car took a while to de-ice this morning, if that serves as any indication of the temperature.

I live in Northern England, and temperatures up here are usually a degree or two colder than those affecting our Southern Cousins. The same is true, I understand, in the USA.

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by donn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:58 pm

It's true with some qualifications to "northern." I'm at the northern extreme of the contiguous states, 100 miles south of the Canadian border, but it's a mild maritime climate here that's often compared to England. Like our friends in the Canadian frozen north in Vancouver BC. Though even Vancouver is a little lower latitude than England, more like Jersey or Caen I think, so the days are not as short here.

But back to South Dakota -- our national weather service says
NOAA wrote:Since South Dakota is situated in the heart of the North American Continent, it is near the paths of many cyclones and anticyclones, and has the extreme of summer heat and winter cold that are characteristic of continental climates. The highest temperature of record in the State is 120 degrees Fahrenheit (° F) observed July 5, 1936, at Gannvalley; the lowest, -58° F, February 17, 1936, at McIntosh. Rapid fluctuations in temperature are common. Partly because of the great distance from any large body of water, the ranges of daily, monthly and annual temperatures are very large. Temperatures of 100° F or higher, are experienced in some part of the State each year, and on rare occasions such readings have been noted as early as April and as late as October. These high temperatures are usually attended by low humidity, which greatly reduces the oppressiveness of the heat. Subzero temperatures occur frequently on mid-winter mornings, but it is not often that the temperature stays subzero during the entire day. In the north, subzero temperatures can occur between October and April.
"Subzero" is of course in Fahrenheit, which I believe would be -20°C already. I have no experience with temperatures like this, but I believe that in order to maintain a car in operable condition, you need a heated garage or an engine block heater.

Stephen Hawkins
Star
Star

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:25 am

Donn,

I don't much care for cold weather, wherever it is to be found. Certain regions of the US will have similar weather to parts of the UK, though my region can be said to have all four seasons in a single day.

A popular expression concerning the vagaries of the weather in these parts is; "It will either rain or go dark", a prediction which cannot be faulted.

SouthDakotan
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SouthDakotan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:08 pm

wow, a nice warm welcome! Yessir, a warm garage is a necessity here, or a block heater, as mentioned.

20 below is not uncommon, nor is 30 below, F of course. I thought for a while in the late 60s early 70s we m ight have to switch to the dreaded metric / Celsius but it never unfolded for some reason. I am SURE it was tied to an economic reason for certain!

I appreciate the warm and kind welcomes, I will continue to venture here often to absorb as much musical knowledge as possible!

thanks again all!!!

JeffJetton
Expert
Expert

Post by JeffJetton » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:39 pm

Welcome! Glad to see somewhere here from South Dakota--the birth state of accordion legend Myron Floren! (How far are you from Roslyn, SD?)