New Member: JiggeryPokery

New Member: JiggeryPokery

Postby JiggeryPokery » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi folks; I'm an accordionist of some 35 years. Originally from Edinburgh in Scotland (now in Dorset, England) my "forte" was Scottish Country Dance. In my late teens I became a keyboard player with some guys I met from school in a blues/rock/club/pub band; that lasted a couple of decades, then I became a guitarist and I'm currently getting out and about as a singer.

But the accordion has always been there or thereabouts, for the last few years I am often requested to take it along to Open Mic nights and sit it with the various collaborations that they throw out.

Then, on Burns night, I was asked to play at a supper that my work put on for the local old folks home. Proper Scottish music it was and I thoroughly enjoyed it. At present, I'm currently constructing backing tracks (so that nobody else can play the same sets as me or sound like me) which may lead to me putting some sort of accordion show together.

And since my accordion spark seems to be re-ignited, I thought I'd join a community of like minded individuals. And here I am.

Looking forward to reading and hopefully contributing to some of the threads.
JiggeryPokery
Never put off until tomorrow that which you can put off until the day after
JiggeryPokery

Novice
Novice

Re: New Member: JiggeryPokery

Postby Soulsaver » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Good story.. welcome aboard. What kind of beast are you playing?

PS There's somewhere in your profile to add where you're from. You don't have to, but if you're active on here you'll keep getting asked .. :)
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JiggeryPokery » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:52 pm

I've a Selmer Invicta. It was second hand when my auntie bought me it 33 years ago.

She's a bit tired, with a couple of drones and wheezes but nothing too bad and you can't hear them when actually playing - she just needs a wee bit of TLC. And I'd love to have a pick-up fitted so save me being rooted to the spot to get some sounds into a microphone.

But she plays well enough; lovely tone to it, no clicks on the treble. I have zero plans to replace her but I will break open my sporran to get her serviced if I am going to get into it seriously again.
JiggeryPokery
JiggeryPokery

Novice
Novice

Postby JeffJetton » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Welcome, JP!
JeffJetton

Expert
Expert

Postby Happy girl » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Jigery Pokery, & a warm welcome aboard from me too! There must be an interesting story behind your handle, are you up to sharing it with us?
Happy girl

Expert
Expert

Postby JIM D. » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi JP;
And first of all "Welcome".
Now you say you have a "Selmer" - Well, If I think of what you have - By all means send me a PM, or call me at (4130 592- 5672
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA
JIM D.

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JiggeryPokery » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi guys - no big dramas to the name. I once orchestrated some tunes for a Scottish Country Dance CD. JiggeryPokery was the name I came up with as the recording artist. It was that or "Up The Trossachs". I called the CD "Casual Fling" so I thought JiggeryPokery was more apt.

And, if I ever get out playing properly again, JiggeryPokery would be my performing name.

Besides which "John" (my real name) would just be boring.
JiggeryPokery
JiggeryPokery

Novice
Novice

Postby Glenn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:47 am

Hi PJ (aka John),

Indeed welcome to the forum.
A good back story and clearly a multi - talented instrumentalist. Nice to hear that you got back into the Scottish music so easily and never lost your love of the accordion. I've only been busy with the accordion these last 10 years or so but it has such a depth of character as an instrument that I still feel I've hardly scratched the surface.
You mention that you drifted towards the guitar. This is an instrument I'm just starting out with. For me the guitar makes the accordion easy in comparison. I'm sure there is something wrong with my hands :)

By the way, how are you making your backing tracks? It's a subject that comes up regularly here so quite a few members would be interested.
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA
Glenn

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JiggeryPokery » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:10 am

Hi Glenn,

I have an application called Melody Assistant (don't know what it costs now but I spent a €20 on it ten or fifteen years ago). That has a decent default MIDI voice bank. I write the parts straight onto the score and there are plenty of tools to adjust tempo, play accents. The parts I write are melody, piano, 2nd accordion, bass and drums and, depending on the level of orchestration I want, other instruments as required. I don't know if there are limits on the number of parts you can have; if there are I haven't hit it yet.

So you need to be able to read music to do it that way but, if you have the right equipment you can record the parts directly onto the software and mix the balances. I haven't done that with a full on accordion piece (I don't own a drum kit being one reason) but I've done it with some guitar stuff and honestly, it is no better than okay. Producing backing via the MIDI files gives a much better sound and is a lot more intuitive when it comes to mixing.

Once I've got the track finalized you can poke it out as an MP3 or WAV.

What I then do is create a video file (MP4) with slides showing me what part of the song I should currently be playing (e.g. The Dashing White Sergeant - Part 1) and what the next few parts are. Getting the display timing write can be tricky but once it is done, I can use it on standard karaoke software. I have a DJ/Karaoke package call Dex3 (that was a bit more expensive, about £120 if I remember) which has the facility for playlists and automatic queuing of tracks. My idea is that when I put together an entire show, I can use that software to control it at gigs.

Back to the track creation: I think the big advantage of doing the parts individually is that I can develop my own sound in terms of second accordion registers; I will use bass runs that should be unique; I also like to write in harmonies which you wouldn't necessarily get with a store bought backing; I put in the piano parts as I would play them which is close to standard but has my own nuances. And when you cobble it all together; the over sound should be traditional but nothing like anyone else. Once I get myself sorted with a SoundCloud thing I'll pop a couple up to see what people think and I'll be happy to answer any questions (as best as I can).

The disadvantage with backing tracks is that, once you start them you are locked into that program. If you are playing with a band you can always have that look round and shout out a different song or wind it up quickly if something goes wrong.
JiggeryPokery
JiggeryPokery

Novice
Novice

Return to New on Here?