New, wrinkly accordionist-to-be from the UK

Re: New, wrinkly accordionist-to-be from the UK

Postby george garside » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:37 am

I would (strongly) sugest that you put aside or flog the palmer hughes books as whilst they provide a very thorough tuition they are more geared to those with 'classical' intentions so to speak.

for folk and Scottish music without benefit of a teacher I recommend the Mel Bay 'you can teach yourself 'accordion'. Dave Mallinson music also has a useful beginners piano accordion book.

I would aslo recommend that you have a go at playing by ear/from memory starting with simple tunes that you can hum or whistle eg when the saints go marching in. The current senior Scottish accordion champion Brandon Mcphee plays entirely 'by ear' - plenty of youtube vids of him. Aslo Sir Jimmy Shand played mainly by ear , claiming that he could read the music for any tune he already knew!

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Teriodin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 am

The comments about the Palmer-Hughes book being over in two hours was in someone's 1-star review online somewhere - possibly an Amazon site. I thought they must be wrong when I saw the amount of work in that first book.

I am not good with teachers of any type, unfortunately. I'm an auto-didact and have learnt everything I know from books over my life, including Electronics, Computer Programming, Clarinet, Guitar, various languages, etc..

University was superb. The moment they said "You will be expected to read for your degree and expand your knowledge beyond that covered by your tutors" I started to smile.

I am happy to listen to people's advice, but actual sessions with tutors just never work for me - I sit there thinking "I'd rather read several books about this..." *chuckles* Hence I will pick up more Accordion books once I have the basics of P-H under my accordion straps.

The P-H books being for 'classical' players, I think I understand what you mean. I'm willing to put up with it for a while to get the basics down and then develop my own 'style' which is what I did with Guitar. I played various methods from books, listened to other players, picked things up in folk clubs, found tunes in dusty old music libraries and then really started to have fun in a non-classical manner. ;)

Yes, I can see how the P-H and standard accordion playing rapidly move on to the 120 Bass system (having skimmed ahead to see what's coming) and if it proves necessary, then I'm sure I would cope but that is quite a while off yet and planning for the future in detail is never a good idea since it usually doesn't turn out the way you may desire. I'm very much of the Zen or 'Abandonment to Divine Providence' mindset as far as what to do next goes *grins* without the monastery and robes though, too draughty on both counts.

I grew up listening to Jimmy Shand and family members who played accordion in Scotland. Mr. Shand was extremely skilled and I have no aspirations to match his level of playing in whatever time I have left.

My favourite piece of music in the whole world is an old accordion piece I used to listen to on a 78rpm at my Na-Na and Pa-pa's house called "The Dark Island". I have the sheet music of the melody here and I'm sure I'll be tackling it once I get the hang of where my fingers are without looking.

Thank you for all the extra advice!

Connor..
Teriodin

Beginner
Beginner

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:55 am

Connor,

Yes, the buttons on the Galotta are decently spaced, and the treble keys are nice and wide. I am bordering on huge myself, with hands that can very easily miss those pesky little buttons.

The Chanson is okay for my purposes, and I do enjoy playing it. It comes with us on holiday, having pride of place on the back seat of my car. As many on here will already know, my Wife & I are often to be found in isolated rural locations, where I play for an audience of sheep, cattle, horses and dogs. The horses & dogs are usually accompanied by their owners, who stop to listen and pass the time of day with us. I am not claiming celebrity status, but a fair number of people have taken photographs and videos of me playing.

Apart from Folk Clubs, I also play at pensioner's events in my local area, and have very recently become involved in a local initiative for dementia sufferers and their carers. Brenda recites her poetry, whilst I knock out a few popular tunes from yesteryear.

Though you have had advice to the contrary, I share your view regarding accordion size. At this moment in time, given the types of music I am interested in playing, I see no point in buying anything bigger than I already have. You may eventually want a 120 Bass, but the kind of music you seem to be interested in does not appear to warrant the purchase. In fact, your 24 Bass will monster most simple folk music.

I can confirm that gravity is functioning correctly in Lancashire, as the bags under my eyes resemble those of a Bloodhound. You are not, by any means, the only "wrinkly" on this forum.

Good luck with all your endeavours.

Stephen.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Postby bocsa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:46 pm

There's a fortune waiting for the inventor of the human shrink wrap machine :)

You can be first Stephen ....after me :P

**don't leave the box on the back seat on a hot sunny day ... you may come back to find a reed puzzle swimming in a soup of wax :roll:
bocsa

Star
Star

Postby Maren » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Connor,

In addition to the PH books, a good visual guide is a youtube series by Liberty Bellows on learning the 12 bass accordion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz2veab ... WyRGrnipf-

By the way, I lasted 2 weeks with PH before trading up to a 120 bass.

Best,
Maren
Maren

Beginner
Beginner

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Graham,

I'm afraid I don't possess the necessary engineering skills to design or develop the machine you describe, and I am worried about where all the loose skin will be bunched. Other than that, you have a top idea there.

Cheers Graham,

Stephen.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Previous

Return to New on Here?