New member from Minnesota

New member from Minnesota

Postby Markl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:05 am

Growing up there was always a wedding or family gathering that involved polka's and accordions and such. About 5 years ago my father passed away and left me his accordion. I had it appraised and evaluated to see what it was worth and any maintenance it may need. Turned out it was in pretty good shape for a 3 reed and I decided maybe I should see if I could learn how to play it after all I self taught myself how to play the guitar, but opted for lessons on this one. My instructor is Ken Mahler who has been selling, servicing and playing accordions for almost all his life. A wonderful man to also now call a friend besides being a great teacher, just search his name on YouTube and you will see what I'm talking about. Lucky to be 20 minutes from him.

During the course of lessons I noticed when he would play the same thing on his Black and Gold Hohner Gola it sounded so much fuller (he also played it better than I), but the reason was I had a 3 reed, well, I had to get a 4! So he threw me a deal on a beautiful 120 key bass Petosa with a large keyboard (I'm a big fella and these large hands need some room). So needless to say I got rather committed and still taking lessons and improving everyday considering I never played the piano nor could I read the music and let alone play it, so it's been challenging at times. Yea, I had some basic understanding, but I do much better with it now than then.

Last week I picked up a helluva deal on a Roland FR7, which has added another dimension of playing this instrument and learning about the FR7. Really enjoying playing this one as well, I think the Petosa is getting jealous! I've posted several questions about it in the Yahoo Group regarding the Rolands' and got some great feedback and info and I'm sure from time to time I will be picking everyone's brain here as well on well, everything.

Mark
Markl

Beginner
Beginner

Re: New member from Minnesota

Postby Zevy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:18 pm

Sounds great, Mark. Enjoy the Roland, but never give up on the Petosa.
Zevy
Petosa AM-1100 LMMH, Beltuna “Balkan Star” Cassotto LMMH (for which I am entertaining any serious bids; please PM me), Excelsior “Concert Multi Grand-Model '00'” LMMH, Borsini “Lars Ek Nostalgic” LMMM, Nunziola LMMH, all PA dry tuned
Zevy

Expert
Expert

Postby JeffJetton » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Welcome! I love stories like yours.

I've always said that the best "price" you can get for a hand-me-down accordion is the joy of learning to play the thing. Way more valuable that any amount it would've fetched on eBay or Craigslist.
JeffJetton

Expert
Expert

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:24 pm

Mark,

A warm welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading your future contributions.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Postby Soulsaver » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 am

Hi Mark I think you're destined to become a great player.. and maybe become known as Minnesota Mark... got a Runyonesque ring to it, eh?
Welcome aboard.
Ed
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Glenn » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:41 am

Welcome Mark.
You display the typical symptoms of accordophilia.
It's incurable so you'll just have to learn to live with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA
Glenn

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JerryPH » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Welcome! Good luck with ypur studies! Have fun and one day why not make a post with a sample of your work for all to enjoy. :)
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Markl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:18 am

Thanks all for the warm welcome!
One thing I noticed is that my left arm and shoulder is sore playing the FR7 so much the past few days. The bellows seem to require more effort than my Petosa which I played tonight and it was like nothing. Definitely pro's and con's between the two and maybe it's just a matter of how I should work the bellows on the FR7. Time will tell as I get more keyboard time on the FR7. Right now my song challenge is the Clarinet Polka, it's coming along nicely for my short stint at this so far, the speed will come with practice. My mentor said most at my stage don't attempt that yet. I got thru Book 3 and have been working on certain music he feels will build on some basics and build a repertoire at the same time before moving on.
Markl

Beginner
Beginner

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:13 am

Mark,

Go at your own pace, and don't be tempted to rush ahead.

Any new tune I attempt to learn is broken down into individual lines. I start with the first line (unsurprisingly) and repeat it until I can play it without pause; then I add the second line, etc.

As for the music your tutor sets for you, I think it better and more rewarding if you choose your own favourites. When I started learning this infernal device, my tutor gave me a tune to practice which I simply didn't like. I had had some moderate success with other tunes, but really struggled with this one. After a week or so I figured out the problem ...... I just didn't want to play this tune.

It was at this point that I took ownership of my learning regime, telling my tutor that I would learn only those tunes which I actually wanted to play. I gave him a list of tunes that I wanted to learn, adding to the list as I progressed.

I won't waste a single second attempting to learn stuff I don't like and don't want to play. There are many thousands of tunes out there that I want to play, so my focus is entirely on them.

Hope that helps in some way.

Stephen.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Postby Bobby » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am

Stephen, I couldn't agree with you more. If I don't like the song or I'm just not into it I cannot learn it or memorize it for that matter.

Mark welcome to the forum, BTW I'm across the border from you and a Packer fan :D
Bobby

Beginner
Beginner

Next

Return to New on Here?