My new (and first) accordion

Re: My new (and first) accordion

Postby Fanie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Knysna - Western Cape. Are you from South Africa too Soulsaver? Thank you for the welcoming too.
Attachments
P1060513.jpg
Fanie

Novice
Novice

Postby Morne » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Welkom, Fanie!

I haven't heard of that brand before. However, by the looks of the keyboard (waterfall keys) and register switches (buttons), this seems to be a relatively old accordion. Somebody with more experience might have a better idea, but I'd probably guess in the 1940's range - maybe early 1950's?

The only reference to "Solo" I could find was on http://www.accordionlinks.com/manufacturer.html where it mentions an Admiral Solo. But when I look for images of that, none of them look like that.

Will you be able to try it out first? I suppose if everything works and sounds right then the instrument could be fine. But if it is as old as I think it is, and if it hasn't been serviced in a long time, then it might not be worthwhile, as it could end up being quite expensive to have it overhauled. You might've noticed that accordion repairers are even scarcer than accordions in SA.
Morne

Expert
Expert

Postby Soulsaver » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Fanie wrote:Knysna - Western Cape. Are you from South Africa too Soulsaver? Thank you for the welcoming too.

No - I worked in Johannesburg in 1986. I did part of the garden route while on a break; amongst other stops en-route I went to Knysna, George, Oudtshorn while driving from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. Beautiful, beautiful place, but nearly killed my self on Swartberg Pass in a skid!

I don't recognise that badge/make. If it is Italian it's likely pre war (waterfall keys). Germany retained them until 1950s. It doesn't look Russian or East German.
It's probably a starter instrument, can't see what the treble switches show but no bass registers?

Have you bought it already? Any more pictures?
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Fanie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:17 am

Morne wrote:Welkom, Fanie!

... Will you be able to try it out first? I suppose if everything works and sounds right then the instrument could be fine. But if it is as old as I think it is, and if it hasn't been serviced in a long time, then it might not be worthwhile, as it could end up being quite expensive to have it overhauled. You might've noticed that accordion repairers are even scarcer than accordions in SA.

Baie dankie Morne vir die verwelkoming ook.

The Seller lives in Durban and he plays it with his HOHNER accordion and assures me that the sound, apart from being a bit soft on the trebble side, is fine. He will courier it to me and if I am satisfied that I could use it as my first instrument for training, I will purchase it from him. He looked at it and found clear signs that the instrument was in fact refurbished. He even suspects it to be built from different parts. I could find only one "Accordiondoctor" in Johannesburg. There is however a movement going on which is trying to revive the Accordion in South Africa.

We just do not understand why the bass is louder than the trebble side - perhaps you know?
Fanie

Novice
Novice

Postby Fanie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:18 am

Fanie wrote:
Morne wrote:Welkom, Fanie!

... Will you be able to try it out first? I suppose if everything works and sounds right then the instrument could be fine. But if it is as old as I think it is, and if it hasn't been serviced in a long time, then it might not be worthwhile, as it could end up being quite expensive to have it overhauled. You might've noticed that accordion repairers are even scarcer than accordions in SA.

Baie dankie Morne vir die verwelkoming ook.

The Seller lives in Durban and he plays it with his HOHNER accordion and assures me that the sound, apart from being a bit soft on the trebble side, is fine. He will courier it to me and if I am satisfied that I could use it as my first instrument for training, I will purchase it from him. He looked at it and found clear signs that the instrument was in fact refurbished. He even suspects it to be built from different parts. I could find only one "Accordiondoctor" in Johannesburg. There is however a movement going on which is trying to revive the Accordion in South Africa.

We just do not understand why the bass is louder than the trebble side - perhaps you know?
Fanie

Novice
Novice

Postby Fanie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:21 am

Soulsaver wrote:
Fanie wrote:Knysna - Western Cape. Are you from South Africa too Soulsaver? Thank you for the welcoming too.

No - I worked in Johannesburg in 1986. I did part of the garden route while on a break; amongst other stops en-route I went to Knysna, George, Oudtshorn while driving from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. Beautiful, beautiful place, but nearly killed my self on Swartberg Pass in a skid!

I don't recognise that badge/make. If it is Italian it's likely pre war (waterfall keys). Germany retained them until 1950s. It doesn't look Russian or East German.
It's probably a starter instrument, can't see what the treble switches show but no bass registers?

Have you bought it already? Any more pictures?

Knysna - paradise!

I am in the process of buying it and will certainly place more pictures as soon as I have received it. here is one or two more which the seller sent me:
Attachments
P1060517.jpg
Fanie

Novice
Novice

Postby Fanie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:22 am

Nog 'n foto:
Attachments
P1060516.jpg
Fanie

Novice
Novice

Postby Fanie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:23 am

The bellows still looks very good:
Attachments
P1060515.jpg
P1060515.jpg (4.71 KiB) Viewed 162 times
Fanie

Novice
Novice

Postby Fanie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:24 am

I am not able to make some of the pictures bigger...
Attachments
P1060514.jpg
Fanie

Novice
Novice

Postby Fanie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi Robbo,

Sorry it was not my intention to hijack you thread.

How are you doing with the skype lessons and your learning of your Accordion. I have found the following free site on the Internet and has downloaded the 94 free lessons - so far I have learned a lot from it and find it to be very successful. You might want to look into it too - it is called: http://duaneschnur.com/accordion/lessons.htm
Fanie

Novice
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to New on Here?