Baile accordion thoughts?

Re: Baile accordion thoughts?

Postby george garside » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:03 pm

band new Chinese boxes are best avoided as they suffer from much heavier initial depreciation than most European boxes. However a little used second hand Chinese box can be a good buy for anybody wanting to dip a toe into the accordion world ( provided you try before buying). Such a lightly used box can often be sold on for what you paid for it if and when you decide to 'upgrade to a posher box. It may also be the only box you will ever need! But always let the first owner take the big hit!

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Leon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:30 pm

Baile have their ups and downs. In the fifties, Baile were state own under planned economics. The factory made accordion as they wish regardless of cost. It was their golden era. Millions of officials (every citizen is employed by the government) are playing it. Their ‘brother countries’ are having it as gift. The quality cannot be too bad. Machine and reeds were indeed from Germany. (similar to Weltmeister). The malfunction of planned economic hit the peak in the seventies, all state own factory were bankrupt. Factory produced unusable, unsellable, simply to fulfill the plan. In order to feed themselves, workers brought home the parts and label, put them together and sell it in black market. Late eighties, China switched to open economics, Parrot and Baile were dissolved. workers started their own production using the brand name but their factory near shanghai is not impressive. many are fake products. Is all confusion. I bought a Baile many years ago. within a few days, I give it away to a second hand shop (I can’t sell it, is not usable). under open economic and exposed to competition, everything in china are improving fast. the present Parrot is good and resumed their reputation. I have not try a latest Baile but i don't think is as bad as their lowest point. There are many secondhand Baile from their golden era but is hard to identify.
Leon

Beginner
Beginner

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:09 am

I would not be afraid of buying a Chinese box, though there are makes I would avoid. (Golden Cup springs to mind)

Using 120 Bass boxes as standard, it is possible to buy a new Chanson 120/41 or Pearl River 120/41 for under £1,000 in the UK. Compare that with the cheaper end of Italian 120/41's, which retail in the UK for around £2,200, and there is a compelling argument for at least considering a Chinese box.

Though I have no current plan to buy one, I may in the future consider a Pearl River. My Chanson is used almost every day, and absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it yet.

When played on its own, my Chanson sounds lovely. A good friend of mine owns a Bugari and a Hohner and, when I play duets with him, I recognise that there is a difference in sound quality. I console myself with the knowledge that he has paid many thousands of pounds more for his instruments than I have for mine.

The main consideration (apart from cost, that is) is what you intend to do with the instrument. If you expect a booking at the Royal Albert Hall, you may not want to use a Chinese instrument. On the other hand, if you play around Folk Clubs, for instance, a Chinese box would be fine & dandy.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Postby george garside » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:45 am

the only baile box I have played was an old ? 50's.60's 120 bass scandali copy complete with 'dustbin lids'. It was definitely more than 'half decent'!

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:16 am

George,

I have heard a 120/41 four voice Pearl River being played, and I thought that it sounded very nice indeed. One day I may buy one.

In an earlier post, I mentioned the difference between my Chanson and a Bugari when played together. The Chanson, as you know, is as "cheap as chips" when compared to European made accordions, but it performs the tasks I set for it very adequately.

I feel sure you will agree that the accordions we choose should fit the use to which we put them, and that those who only wish to play folk & popular music could do worse than to buy a Chinese instrument.

I would rather buy a Chinese box knowing that it was Chinese, rather than one which is pretending to be European. It is my opinion, after having heard a Pearl River being played, that they represent extremely good value for money.

I have not yet checked my lottery ticket but, if I have won a substantial amount of money, I have my eye on a Double Cassotto Weltmeister. In the event that I have won only a moderate amount of money, it will be the Pearl River.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:52 pm

George,

Update on previous post. Not one single number on my lottery ticket. The Weltmeister will have to wait until another day.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Previous

Return to Accordion Makes & Models