Made in Taiwan.

Made in Taiwan.

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:26 am

Some members of this forum appear to believe that Hohner is a German company which has a few of its low range models made in China.

The facts, however, are as follows: Hohner can no longer claim to be a German company, as a Taiwanese manufacturer owns 75% of the shares. The Hohner name is still being used, and some machines are still produced in Germany, but majority control of Hohner rests in Taiwan.

Of the Hohner machines being produced in Germany, a substantial percentage of their component parts are manufactured in Taiwan.

So, Hohner is not a German company which has some of its instruments made in Taiwan, but a Taiwanese company which, for the sake of European representation, has some of its instruments made in Germany. (or at least assembled there)
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Re: Made in Taiwan.

Postby JerryPH » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:09 am

Where did this information about Hohner being 75% Asian owned come from, Stephen?
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby dunlustin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:26 am

A quick search will give you lots of info.
I reckon approx. 20 years ago - I believe mainland China was also involved. Some (the Celtic range) have an Indonesian connection.
I've read that the share is more like 90+% and even that there is no German ownership left at all.
dunlustin

Superstar
Superstar

Postby Soulsaver » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Debra posted a link to some detailed official looking info. some time ago on here, but I couldn't locate it.
It is commonly accepted the a Chinese company is a majority share holder, and is old news.

However,I suspect Jerry's subtle point is if you want it to be taken seriously when reporting 'news' like this, provide a link: People who maybe are interested want to see the full story, not someone's interpretation of it... as we know from history, there is room for error :)
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby debra » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Soulsaver wrote:Debra posted a link to some detailed official looking info. some time ago on here, but I couldn't locate it.
It is commonly accepted the a Chinese company is a majority share holder, and is old news.

However,I suspect Jerry's subtle point is if you want it to be taken seriously when reporting 'news' like this, provide a link: People who maybe are interested want to see the full story, not someone's interpretation of it... as we know from history, there is room for error :)

I actually have no idea who "owns" Hohner. I was not aware of any Taiwanese link. The student and some other models are produced in China, supposedly using Hohner-made machines and to Hohner standards. The high-end Hohner accordions are made in whole or in part by Pigini (after having been made by Excelsior for several decades).
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Superstar
Superstar

Postby Glenn » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Is this what they call "fake news"? There's a lot of it about these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA
Glenn

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Soulsaver » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:27 pm

debra wrote:
Soulsaver wrote:Debra posted a link to some detailed official looking info. some time ago on here, but I couldn't locate it.

I actually have no idea who "owns" Hohner. I was not aware of any Taiwanese link. The student and some other models are produced in China, supposedly using Hohner-made machines and to Hohner standards. The high-end Hohner accordions are made in whole or in part by Pigini (after having been made by Excelsior for several decades).

Hm Maybe I should have said ..'I think it was Debra who posted official looking info..' maybe someone else. Maybe was a link.. either way, proves my point... room for error. :D
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:10 am

Glenn,

No, this is not "fake news", it is the result of research. The Taiwanese Investment Consortium, H.S. Investment Group, owns 75% of Hohner.

Soulsaver,

Whether or not you take me seriously is not the issue here. I stand by everything I have written, and I do so in the absolute knowledge that it is irrefutable.
There is not, as you suggest, room for error, as I have used only published figures and information from a reliable source.
...........................................................................................................................................................

When people talk about "China", they seem to forget that there are two Chinas. The one most people think of is "The People's Republic of China", but forget that Taiwan's official name is "The Republic of China." The former is a one party dictatorship, whilst the latter is governed democratically. Until 1971, Taiwan (Republic of China) had a seat at the UN. Since that date, however, political manouvering and betrayal of principles have given the better known China more power and influence than its smaller neighbour.

Musical instruments which are said to be made in China may, in fact, be manufactured in Taiwan. I have not yet concluded my research, though there are strong indicators that point to this conclusion.

This forum is probably not the place to elaborate on the rift between Chiang Kai-Shek and Mao Zedong, though an understanding of these historic events may be useful in understanding the subject under discussion. Suffice, for now, to say that it is unthinkable that a Taiwanese Company would have instruments manufactured by its sworn enemy, The People's Republic of China.
Last edited by Stephen Hawkins on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:33 am

It is unusual for me to disclose information before I have acted upon it, but I will make an exception in this case.

I am now in touch with the British Office in Taipei, which is an organ of the British State. This, as you would naturally assume, is part of the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office, and is charged with developing British business interests in Taiwan.

It is unlikely that my query will be dealt with as a matter of urgency, but I do expect to hear from them fairly soon. How comprehensive the information I receive will be is anybody's guess, though I have not asked anything which could be considered a risk to security or commercial interests.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:30 am

My contact at the Foreign Office will be out of his office until the 13th of this month. I have now redirected my query to the Deputy Charges d'Affaires in Taipei.

I await developments.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Next

Return to Accordion Makes & Models