Basson accordions - reed configuration?

Basson accordions - reed configuration?

Postby sjr2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone who has (or has access to) a basson accordion could kindly comment on what its reed layout is? Fantini shows the 'middle and low dots' symbol in their catalog, which I assume means two reeds an octave apart, but I'd expect a basson to go rather lower than a 'standard' 16ft reed. Liberty Bellows have a video of a Hohner basso that seems to go down to C1, but I can't tell by listening if there is another reed sounding an octave higher...

Watch on youtube.com

Best regards
--
Steve
sjr2

Novice
Novice

Re: Basson accordions - reed configuration?

Postby Matt Butcher » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Mine goes down to the C that is the lowest note on a string double bass with the extended fingerboard, but it has two reeds to each note, one an octave higher than the other, and no switches.
Matt Butcher

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby debra » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Almost all basson accordions go down to the low C. When standard A is 440Hz, you can go down to 220Hz by using the L reed, then one octave lower is 110Hz, another is 55Hz and in that octave you go down to C, so it is really low.
There are some basson accordions that have a key for the B below that C, but not all of them (maybe none of them?) have a B that actually plays. (Zero Sette has this key and Giulietti, but that's no surprised as Giulietti accordions were made by Zero Sette for many years. I don't know whether the B plays as all music written for basson accordion assumes you cannot go below C.)
Almost all basson accordions have a fixed LM combination, no register switches to use just L or M.
There is one exception: The Pigini Basson P39 or C39 is 3-reed: LMH and it has 4 registers: L, LM, LMH and LH. (The P39 has 39 notes, from C to high D, which is a configuration shared with some others like the Bugari basson. The C39, despite what the name says, has 40 notes, from C to high Es.) The old popular Hohner basson had 34 notes, going up to just A.
I have played a Bugari basson for many years and since a few years I now have the Pigini C39. The basson is actually my favorite instrument in an ensemble or orchestra.
Some basson accordions (Bugari for instance) have a 180 degree "winkelbass" for the L reed, which gives a bit more punch to the L reed. The Pigini does not.
Last edited by debra on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby sjr2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Thanks both. Really useful to have the clarification.
--
Steve
sjr2

Novice
Novice

Postby kimric » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:49 am

I had a Titano in the shop awhile back that had shifters.
I also had a Maxtone chinese bass accordion that I pick up at the music trade show. I gutted it and replaced all the reeds with a mixture of vintage reeds. I used some early reeds made in San Francisco as they were the longest bass reeds I ever saw on a stradella accordion , and leaded them to pitch.
I used the largest and best reeds I could find out of my huge pile of reed blocks to complete the job.

I added half of one of my mic systems to the right side and it sold before it was finished.
Sounded pretty good, but it took a lot of work and adjustment to get the lowest reeds to sound fairly quickly.
Smythe's Accordion Center, since 1997
Oakland ,California
kimric

Expert
Expert

Postby debra » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:03 am

kimric wrote:I had a Titano in the shop awhile back that had shifters.
I also had a Maxtone chinese bass accordion that I pick up at the music trade show. I gutted it and replaced all the reeds with a mixture of vintage reeds. I used some early reeds made in San Francisco as they were the longest bass reeds I ever saw on a stradella accordion , and leaded them to pitch.
I used the largest and best reeds I could find out of my huge pile of reed blocks to complete the job.

I added half of one of my mic systems to the right side and it sold before it was finished.
Sounded pretty good, but it took a lot of work and adjustment to get the lowest reeds to sound fairly quickly.

Interesting news about the Titano. Until now the Pigini P39 and C39 were the only ones I know that have registers.
Sounds like "upgrading" the Maxtone was a tremendlous job. A basson really has special extra-large reeds that are never (or at least extremely rarely) found on a normal accordion even on the bass side. The largest accordions go down to E on the bass side and the basson needs to go down to C below that. (There is an exceptional bayan going down to C, but most don't.)
Making the lowest reeds sound fairly quickly is another challenge because it's a compromise between fast action and not choking. A low reed that reacts fast will choke when you put more pressure on the attack. The reed configuration is most often a fixed LM configuration hoping that for the low notes the M reed will help the L reed get started. When I play just the L reed on my Pigini I need to take the delay into account (and I already improved the speed from how it came from the factory because that was very slow).
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Return to Accordion Makes & Models