Stradella Accordion Rejected.

Stradella Accordion Rejected.

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Brenda is always looking for period furniture for our 19th Century stone cottage. Yesterday I was dragged into an "antique" shop, which also doubles as a junk shop, to look for suitable items of furniture.

Out of the corner of my eye, almost hidden from view, I noticed a little accordion sitting on a shelf. It had a White(ish) Mother of Pearl finish and 12 bass buttons. Closer examination revealed terrible damage and abuse.

It appears that a particularly inept Chimp attempted to repair it with only a lump hammer and pliers. The bass buttons and underlying mechanism were exposed and severely distorted, and the bass cover was completely missing.

After a frank chat about the value of this wreck, I advised the young lady in charge that it was worth nothing at all. I went on to tell her that the kindest thing she could do would be to throw it in a skip.

Anyway, the poor thing bore a makers name, which was Luigi Lucchini. I managed to find only one useful reference to this maker, and it seems they were taken over in 1939.

Needless to say, I will not be buying this heap of junk, though I am tempted to take it home just so I can say that I own an Italian Accordion.

Any information or comments will be gladly received, especially if they suggest that I have stumbled across a very rare and valuable instrument.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Return to Accordion Makes & Models