Trying to improve sight-reading

To discuss / ask questions about learning methods/styles/teachers/techniques etc.
george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Trying to improve sight-reading

Post by george garside » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:01 pm

I agree totally with the notion of playing scales etc in the key you are about to use and think that, as a broad generalisation, scale practice is regarded as something more for learners than experienced players.

being able to rattle off scales on auto pilot is akin to 'knowing the route' along which one will travel to a destination. Different scales are different routes to the destination. i.e along which you travel to produce a tune in a particular key.

It is important at a relatively early stage to get the hang of 12 or a least a good proportion thereof!. This has the distinct advantage of being able to ply the same tune in several scales and to if necessary play in a scale other than the one written ( I think the French call that solmisation or something like that).

of course continental players can manage with one 'scalesworth ' of fingering but 3 is better and British Chromatic players need to master 5.

Often when I pick up the box I randomly run through a few keys and am no great respecter of 'that tune must be played in that key'

george

Alans
Improver
Improver

Post by Alans » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Thank-you all for the information you have provided me. After posting last night I came up with idea that Corsaire mentions-I think I need to start sight reading at a much lower level then I play right now. And then just gradually
build it up. Plus add sight-reading to every practise session , hopefully that will produced results. I used to play all of the major scales but I stopped and I think that is something I need to incorporate again.
Once again thanks for your comments, they all help.

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Just found this - 7 Principles Of Sight Reading - covers some of the points we made earlier ..plus more. It is part of a paid for course - no connection, know nothing about the course, other than what you see in this clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wCCjtGYxCY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

Pianoman1
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Pianoman1 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:13 am

Interesting comments Being partially sighted I have to memorise music which helps me Takes time but it means I am not peering at dots

Here is my new website http://www.tonymusicteach.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am thinking of offering one to one sight reading lessons for accordionists as short courses for absolute beginners - covering both clefs - my own teacher admits he is not good on the bass clef - reading chords - covering rhythms - and booster courses for more experienced players The main aim of teaching is to identify student needs and help them to solve the problem

I would also cover standard chord sequences as well

With my own piano pupils the bass clef is a particular problem and constant practice is the only answer
Thoughts abuse etc