PA Skype Teacher Recommendations

To discuss / ask questions about learning methods/styles/teachers/techniques etc.
Sprockets85
Beginner
Beginner

PA Skype Teacher Recommendations

Post by Sprockets85 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi all. I've been learning piano accordion from the Palmer Hughes books for a couple of months now and I'm happy with my progress so far. However I think a teacher is going to be a big help in the long run and I can't find one in my local area. Has anybody here taken lessons via Skype, and if so who with?

Any recommendations much appreciated :)

martindixon
Beginner
Beginner

Re: PA Skype Teacher Recommendations

Post by martindixon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:50 am

I've been having occasional Skype lessons with Karen Tweed which have helped me no end. Highly recommend!

rancoman
Improver
Improver

Post by rancoman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:04 pm

What a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that? Because I'm too stupid :b

I'm sure it could be of great help to beginners to be able to Skype with someone more experienced to help with little problems, because it is SO difficult sometimes to explain using only the written word what we are discussing.

I'm certainly not NEARLY competent enough (nor do I have the time) to give lessons on Skype or anywhere else, but I would be happy enough to help someone with the basics, or specific little tricks or problem solving, and I'm sure some of the other 'old hands' would be also.

What does the Forum as a whole think? Is there a 'policy' on this, or should there be? Do we really need one?

losthobos
Star
Star

Post by losthobos » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:48 pm

I know Gary Blair gives skype lessons...phenomenal player and great teacher...
I'd asked him to take me onboard a while back but he wasn't interested as I play buttons....we were at a festival at the time and he suggested I stuck with Harry Hussey as my guide...who sadly doesn't do skype so I see him once or twice a year...coincidentally Harrys just moved to Glasgow so Gary tells me he'll be popping round fir tea and jazz guidance....lucky man...
I have considered giving skype lessons on CBA even though I realise my playing has a long way to go to get to the standard I wish...but as there seem to be no English speaking CBA tutors available I figured it would still be of major help...
Any advice taken...thankyou
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

Pipemajor
Novice
Novice

Post by Pipemajor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Does Harry Hussey play CBA now?. I saw him a couple of times at the accordion club I used to go to and he played PA then . I have a couple of his CDs playing PA. Fantastic {}

Stephen
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Are there professional accordion teachers in the UK or USA giving online PA or CBA lessons?

Or conservatory trained accordion teachers with online lessons?

I don't know any names, but hope to learn some names here.

Off topic, I have enjoyed some online harmonica lessons from Tomlin Leckie on YT.
He 's got talent for explaining harmonica techniques.
His country blues harmonica lesson on vamping... Waw...

losthobos
Star
Star

Post by losthobos » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:41 pm

No Pipermajor...Harry hasn't moved over to the dark side...he's still playing his Borsini as beautifully as ever...superb arranger and so kind to share his knowledge
Gary Blair is 'professional'...world class player playing to worldwide festivals...don't think he's conservatory schooled though
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

Anyanka
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Anyanka » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:27 am

martindixon wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:50 am
I've been having occasional Skype lessons with Karen Tweed which have helped me no end. Highly recommend!
I'd second this recommendation - especially if you want to learn to play with expression, variation and vivacity. I've learnt more from Karen Tweed than from any other single accordionist, albeit not on Skype (although I intend to book one of those sessions soon).

She IS a professional accordionist, by the way, but not conservatory trained; she does not teach classical accordion.

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 am

Sprockets85 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:49 pm
Hi all. I've been learning piano accordion from the Palmer Hughes books for a couple of months now and I'm happy with my progress so far. However I think a teacher is going to be a big help in the long run and I can't find one in my local area. Has anybody here taken lessons via Skype, and if so who with?

Any recommendations much appreciated :)
https://www.bing.com/search?q=accordion ... 1&qs=n&sk=
You'd get maybe more alternate suggestions you say where your local area is?
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

JeffJetton
Expert
Expert

Post by JeffJetton » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Glad to see the positive reviews of Karen Tweed's Skype lessons.

I'm a huge fan of her playing. She is absurdly good. While I've long pondered taking lessons from her, the prospect does seem a bit intimidating. Did any of you who have taken from her feel that way at first?