learning to play the accordion by ear

Re: learning to play the accordion by ear

Postby BobM » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Great stuff, and lots more of Richard Noel here. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +accordion
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know..
BobM

Superstar
Superstar

Postby smdc66 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:58 pm

re my box

actually listening to it from the recording might sound slightly better than close up

the basses sound a little harsh

ideally would like it to sound like the hohner atlantic :lol:
Last edited by smdc66 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me, Myself and My Hohner
smdc66

Superstar
Superstar

Postby Soulsaver » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:30 am

:)
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby george garside » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:39 am

There must more than one or two people out there who have some sort of interest in or perhaps just curiosity about 'learning to play the accordion by ear.'' as this thread has received well over a thousand 'looks' in just 17 days!'

Presumably a lot of the 'looks' have been by 'guests' but without their joining the forum ( entirely free!!) and posting there thoughts, questions, pleas for help, experiences, problems experienced, etc etc etc the thread will not develop in a way that is mutually advantageous to 'by ear' learners and improvers. Same goes for 'silent' members!

It would also be of interest to hear from experienced 'by ear' players who are willing to pass on their 'hints and tips'

I and no doubt others will be happy to respond to any queries and to pass on what we know.

So come on chaps don't just 'look'' - join the forum and participate!

George ( who has absolutely no intention of turning this thread into a one man tutorial!)

and Happy New Year to All {} :ch
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby BobM » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:13 pm

Without anyone asking a specific question it's hard to know what to advise, but there are a few general attributes that can certainly help. So without getting into a long post, and in no specific order,

Curiosity, finding out what happens if I try such and such, and not getting upset if you don't get it right the first or tenth attempt.

A memory for melodies and a sense of where you are in them.

A competitive streak, either with someone else, or with yourself.

A strong practical need or a simple desire. Is there any reason or advantage in spending time doing this?

An exercise could be take a simple piece that's easily playable from music and try playing it just from memory. If you can do that then try working it out in another key by ear, etc etc.

BobM.
Last edited by BobM on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know..
BobM

Superstar
Superstar

Postby smdc66 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:34 pm

the constructive comments above have helped me and given me something to work with - listening to richard's tunes have inspired me too (also to learn at least one of them)

i am at beginner/intermediate level

more comments would help more people i guess although everyone will be at different stages

i do think sound bites make a big difference (with a forum about making music)

:)
Me, Myself and My Hohner
smdc66

Superstar
Superstar

Postby george garside » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:08 am

nearly another 1000 'looks' in just a few days! ???????????????????

george :?
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby BobM » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:42 am

I wonder if "PBE" is just a distraction. If someone really wants to PBE they're just going to be doing it, because it will seem like the natural path to take. Of course PBE doesn't stop anyone from reading music either, both skills are complementary.

I honestly believe that for most people coming to the accordion past their mid 20's, and who want to play in a non classical way, a practical path is to learn to use Lead Sheets, get good ones, and pay for them if necessary. Also learn to play and study LH rhythms on their own, get a bit of basic music theory and a few simple rules of thumb. That may help to put the tricks into place for future PBE.

BobM.
BobM

Superstar
Superstar

Postby smdc66 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:13 am

george garside wrote:nearly another 1000 'looks' in just a few days! ???????????????????

george :?

is this accurate data :|
Me, Myself and My Hohner
smdc66

Superstar
Superstar

Postby smdc66 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:21 am

BobM wrote:I wonder if "PBE" is just a distraction. If someone really wants to PBE they're just going to be doing it, because it will seem like the natural path to take. Of course PBE doesn't stop anyone from reading music either, both skills are complementary.

I honestly believe that for most people coming to the accordion past their mid 20's, and who want to play in a non classical way, a practical path is to learn to use Lead Sheets, get good ones, and pay for them if necessary. Also learn to play and study LH rhythms on their own, get a bit of basic music theory and a few simple rules of thumb. That may help to put the tricks into place for future PBE.

BobM.

this reminds me of that well known 2 accordion playing chickens joke - which came first the chicken reading music or the chicken pbe (ok i made it up.. :) )

moderators feel free to move off thread topic to pub chat
Me, Myself and My Hohner
smdc66

Superstar
Superstar

PreviousNext

Return to Teaching & Learning