learning to play the accordion by ear

Re: learning to play the accordion by ear

Postby NigelB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:39 am

Last edited by NigelB on Mon May 02, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NigelB

Improver
Improver

Postby Soulsaver » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:07 pm

Here is another important point...
I refer you to post No1 -
george garside wrote:
As this is a 'Teaching and Learning' board hopefully others will start similar threads to assist those learning or progressing along more formal routes of learning .

I feel that it is important to bear in mind that this board is not intended as a platform for debate or indeed comparison of the respective advantages or disadvantages of different 'schools' of learning - that can if necessary be validly debated on 'accordion chat'
george ;) {} :ch

If you wish to debate the merits of earist v dotists may I politely suggest you start a new topic on it..in its appropriate category; it'll get a wider audience and likely get more input.

Edit: added quote.
Last edited by Soulsaver on Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JerryPH » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:03 pm

Oh, I was just having fun and sharing an opinion. I shared what I wished and if I made a mistake somewhere, I do apologize! Feel free to kill the entire post, I certainly won't mind. I also wish to state that I completely respect the opinion of everyone else here. :)

I'll pull back from this thread at this point. Cheers! :ch
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby donn » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:18 pm

My feeling is that after 15 pages of gumming this topic over like a bunch of old guys who are still reliving the Crimean war, we're suddenly looking at a couple of novelties that might benefit from discussion. I don't know what soulsaver is talking about.

One of them is the association between reading music and technique. I assume this is about some special accordion music marked up with technical accordion suggestions?

Another is the idea that music survives over generations [only] if written down. And a closely related (I think) notion that music can be faithfully rendered from its written form [alone]. I have a hunch that this has a lot to do with the music. There are a lot of "feel" qualities that show up in folk/popular music, while European classical music marches on in its "straight" way.

I'm reminded of reconstructed drawings of dinosaurs. When I was a kid, they had smooth scaly skin like an iguana, but now they think they had feathers, so they do their best to come up with a sort of big bird thing that doesn't look too silly. But I think they realize that at this point the best they can do is nothing at all like the original. Do you ever wonder what they really sounded like, back in the Renaissance - Guillaume du Fay, et al?

Maybe it's just my own weakness at writing. I actually write out the stuff I'm trying to learn, to some extent, because it's easier to record what I've worked out note by note in writing. But those written notes are the crudest sketch, and played back by the musical notation sequencer they completely lack the feel of the music. That's my ideal -- to not play just like the written music. So I don't see the virtue of written music as a stabilizing authoritative record -- like the laughable big bird dinosaur sketch, music preserved in this way wouldn't even make a satisfactory museum exhibit.
donn

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby TomBR » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:46 pm

Ho hum, since this discussion seems to be marching away from learning by ear anyway.....

I think it's all too easy for musicians from other genres to undervalue the huge amount of musicality and artistry that goes into a good classical performance. They are certainly not just replaying the dots. I've seen televised masterclasses, there are probably plenty on Youtube now - the student plays the piece in question and you think "hey that was pretty good," then the Master plays it and you think, "oh wow! What a huge difference," but they are playing "the same notes."

There are, of course, many plodding uninspired classical performances, even on commercial CDs.

(I'm not a classical musician.)
TomBR

Superstar
Superstar

Postby george garside » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:58 pm

Obviously I totally agree with soulsaver and do not consider this thread to be for comparing , knocking, or whatever different ways of learning to play music on the box. I was intended and should remain a platform to assist those who , for whatever reason, prefer to play by ear and also of course dotists who wish to add playing by ear skills to their armoury so to speak.

However, comparing the two skills/methods is fair sport and indeed hearing the views of dedicated earists and dotists batting for their respective modus operani can be interesting as long as it is respectful and acknowledges that both are indeed mainstream methods of playing.

So to put my money where my mouth is I will start a new thread for that purpose under accordion chat

George ;)
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby george garside » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:56 am

A useful learning technique for by ear players is that once a tune can be played reasonably well in ? key of C then play it in at least 3 or 4 other keys ( of which all being well you have practiced scales) eg FGDA
Just think of the white notes as the main road on which all keys are based F & G needing only one 'diversion' from the main road , D 2 diversions and A 3 diversions.

For those without any theoretical knowledge a useful exercise in finding and playing scales is to start on any white note and then progress along the white notes until a note sounds wrong. Then try the nearest black notes until you find one that sounds right etc etc. Whilst doing this think in terms of 'do re me fa so la te do' rather than the names of the notes. Once a scale has been picked out practice it regularly!

Playing any tune in several keys is also an excellent way for dot readers learning to play by ear to reduce dependency on the dots and to become totally focused on the sound that the box is making . Honing listening skills can also often enhance playing from the dots so its a win win situation!

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Soulsaver » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:56 pm

george garside wrote:Whilst doing this think in terms of 'do re me fa so la te do' rather than the names of the notes.

Go on, I'll bite: Why?
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby george garside » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:39 pm

Because using do re me etc ( rather than CDE etc facilitates visualising all scales as being a similar consequitive sequence of notes irrespective of 'key' , i.e just starting somewhere else in much the same way as a singer would. It can also help readers learning to play by ear as they would presumably not have a set of dots for a veriety of keys . Put another way it facilitates transposing on the hoof!

I personally find it helpful to occasionaly and randomly play tunes in all 12 keys (on the hoof) as an exercise

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Morne » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:48 pm

Soulsaver wrote:
george garside wrote:Whilst doing this think in terms of 'do re me fa so la te do' rather than the names of the notes.

Go on, I'll bite: Why?

For anyone who wants to read more about this, this relates to the discussion on "fixed vs movable Do" (Solfège).

The main advantage of the movable Do system here is that you learn relative notes. So then you can start on any note and then play +2 +1 +3 etc. Hence facilitating transposing.

The fixed Do system is used in certain countries, like in Eastern Europe, and there Do Re Me refer to the actual note names, C D E.

There are reasons for preferring either or, and both. But that's a different discussion.
Morne

Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Teaching & Learning