When it all goes wrong

Re: When it all goes wrong

Postby acordiansam » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:16 pm

Well it depends on the flop!

I had an instructor tell me once when you make a mistake repeat it the second time through and everyone will think you did it on purpose.

Also, most people in the audience never really pick up the small ones unless you give it away. Like some sort of funny face or frown when you've been smiling big.

Above all never stop!
acordiansam

Star
Star

Postby debra » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:19 am

acordiansam wrote:Well it depends on the flop!

We (Accordion Quintet ARTE) have a new piece I arranged. It is a medley of Irish songs. In the medley we have a number of places where one of us deliberately mixes in something from a different song and then the others give him or her an angry face... We have performed this piece once so far and the audience thought these were honest mistakes and some told us afterwards that when it goes wrong we should pretend nothing happened. We then explained that the act was all on purpose.
We are still thinking how to repeat the act at a next performance such that it becomes clearer that it is intended as a funny act, not as us messing up...
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Superstar
Superstar

Postby acordiansam » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:49 pm

After playing in one band for 15 years. We had one song that the fiddle player would play a note out of tune. Then we would go back and forth making sower notes for a while. When he played the correct note then off we went again.

Solos where we put different songs in the slot that went along with the cord progression. Lots of fun and makes you think. We're always trying to surprise each other with a new song that fit in. Every thing from nursery rhymes to the lick of a popular song.
acordiansam

Star
Star

Postby JerryPH » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:08 pm

debra wrote:We are still thinking how to repeat the act at a next performance such that it becomes clearer that it is intended as a funny act, not as us messing up...

It's all in the expression and pose of the body. At the very least, have everyone stop suddenly, turn directly in his direction and give him a dirty look. Have a lady or two (if you have any), stand up and place their hands on their hips or throw their hands up in the air, or maybe even have one look like she is complaining to herself, they'll get it then... lol

Whenever the band that I was in played "the chicken dance", I would purposely play it in the wrong key, and when they changed to match me... I changed again (of course this was all planned out, we all laughed and the people danced on)... lol
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby debra » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:57 pm

JerryPH wrote:It's all in the expression and pose of the body. At the very least, have everyone stop suddenly, turn directly in his direction and give him a dirty look. Have a lady or two (if you have any), stand up and place their hands on their hips or throw their hands up in the air, or maybe even have one look like she is complaining to herself, they'll get it then... lol

Whenever the band that I was in played "the chicken dance", I would purposely play it in the wrong key, and when they changed to match me... I changed again (of course this was all planned out, we all laughed and the people danced on)... lol

Very good suggestions. We need to really turn it into what is much more clearly an act. I will see what we can do at our next performance...
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Superstar
Superstar

Postby acordiansam » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:50 pm

Maybe if you have been playing and acting serious all night. A little vocal set up before you start the tune might help?
acordiansam

Star
Star

Postby smdc66 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:43 am

debra wrote:
Of course the other thing that can go wrong is mistakes due to nervousness.............first of all practice, practice, practice. ...............Make sure you can play everything 10 to 20% faster than you will perform it.....

is it worthwhile practice to also be able to play the piece slower as well as faster :? :?:
Me, Myself and My Hohner
smdc66

Superstar
Superstar

Postby smdc66 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:12 am

smdc66 wrote:
debra wrote:
Of course the other thing that can go wrong is mistakes due to nervousness.............first of all practice, practice, practice. ...............Make sure you can play everything 10 to 20% faster than you will perform it.....

is it worthwhile practice to also be able to play the piece slower as well as faster :? :?:

actually i have just noticed and think most / all the answers to my question are covered in the

Re: How do they do that?

smdc66

Superstar
Superstar

Previous

Return to Teaching & Learning