Need help deciphering a measure from a tune (klezmer)

Need help deciphering a measure from a tune (klezmer)

Postby aaronishappy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Hello everyone. So I learned these tunes about a year ago. I started learning tunes by ear a year and a half ago, so it's one of the earlier ones I learned by ear. At the time there was a small passage that I just for the life of me couldn't figure out. I know it involves the G, F#, D and Eflat, and at the time I got so sick of trying to figure it out I just gave up and used something that sounded roughly like it. However I've shied away from playing this when busking/performing in front of other people as to me that one part just made it sound a bit disjointed or something. I have a pretty good ear these days, I can figure out most tunes if they're played slower and repeated back to me but some reason 1 year on I still can't figure out this part. I've learned the rest by ear note for note, perfectly, but this is driving me a bit mad! I don't know what it is that's stopping me.

So I'm asking would anyone be so kind as to work it out for me!? It's just a few notes. It's the part at 1:12-1:14, and again 1:19-1:21ish. Hope it's clear which passage it is!

Watch on youtube.com

Thank you!
aaronishappy

Improver
Improver

Re: Need help deciphering a measure from a tune (klezmer)

Postby maugein96 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi aaron,

I don't play PA, so am not much good, and although I've played a lot of Balkan type music I tend to play by ear as well.

However, the guy who is playing the clip, Les Thompson, is an accordion dealer in Devon, England, and has his own website.

You'll get a phone number to call him on his website under "Accordion Tuition". If nobody on here can help you it might be worth calling him.

I don't know him personally, but have heard he is a very decent guy.

Good luck!

http://www.squeezydoesit.com/
maugein96

Superstar
Superstar

Postby JIM D. » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:07 pm

You Might Just Send A PM to Our Forum Member ---
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=250 ---
As this of course his expertise !! ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB2iCNWTuVU
Owner,Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA
JIM D.

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby NigelB » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:30 pm

G-F#Eb,DCDEb,D Is what he played I think. The chord is Cm.
Last edited by NigelB on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NigelB

Improver
Improver

Postby Soulsaver » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:00 pm

maugein96 wrote:Hi aaron,

I don't play PA, so am not much good, and although I've played a lot of Balkan type music I tend to play by ear as well.

However, the guy who is playing the clip, Les Thompson, is an accordion dealer in Devon, England, and has his own website.

You'll get a phone number to call him on his website under "Accordion Tuition". If nobody on here can help you it might be worth calling him.

I don't know him personally, but have heard he is a very decent guy.

Good luck!

http://www.squeezydoesit.com/

He, accordionssouthwest (Les Thompson aka Basil Bunelik) is also a member on here, but contact through his webby is likely to get a quicker response.
As an side you do know you can slow a youtube playback down? Two methods: -
a) In youtube with the desired clip loaded, click on settings (the 'cog') click on 'speed' click on the 0.25 or 0.5 option.
b) Run the YT clip; Record the playback in audacity (or the like) - and then playback ssslllooowwwlllyyy..
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby aaronishappy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks everyone! Fortunately it looks like I need not bother Les Thompson, as what Nigel has posted seems to be pretty bang on... Don't know why it was so hard for me!

Cheers {}
aaronishappy

Improver
Improver

Postby JeffJetton » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Hey! I just bought that same model accordion last month!

It's a real hoot to play. Apparently Weltmeister isn't making them anymore though. :(

{}

Anyway...

Soulsaver wrote:b) Run the YT clip; Record the playback in audacity (or the like) - and then playback ssslllooowwwlllyyy..

You can also Google "YouTube to MP3" to get a whole list of sites that will let you download the audio of most any YouTube video, which will save you having to figure out how to record it yourself. My "slower-downer" of choice is VLC.
JeffJetton

Expert
Expert

Postby Zevy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:38 pm

NigelB wrote:G-F#Eb,DCDEb,D Is what he played I think. The chord is Cm.

Nigel is correct, only that it goes back to D major on the last D note. Fingering (on PA) should be: 43212121.
Good luck!
Zevy
Petosa AM-1100 LMMH, Beltuna “Balkan Star” Cassotto LMMH (for which I am entertaining any serious bids; please PM me), Excelsior “Concert Multi Grand-Model '00'” LMMH, Borsini “Lars Ek Nostalgic” LMMM, Nunziola LMMH, all PA dry tuned
Zevy

Star
Star

Return to Teaching & Learning