PA keyboard fingering

Re: PA keyboard fingering

Postby JeffJetton » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:51 pm

george garside wrote:at one time piano fingering was very rigidly taught '';according to the book'' but I think many piano teachers are now more relaxed about it!

Yes, I think that (thankfully) the modern school of thought is that written fingerings--be they for piano or accordion--are suggestions.

They're suggestions that you should take very seriously, attempt to understand the logic behind them, and certainly try out yourself several times before dismissing. But if you can come up with something that works better for you, then I say more power to you.

Everyone's hands and fingers are different, but I feel like that matters more on accordion than it does on piano, thus fingering tend to be a bit more personal. Especially in the left hand, of course, but in the RH too. Maybe that's due to the vertical keyboard?
JeffJetton

Expert
Expert

Postby Corsaire » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:56 am

When I started to learn the PA, I was asked by my teacher if I wanted to use my little finger for the left hand. As my little fingers are a bit crooked, probably due to learning the piano very young, I reckoned there was too much risk of hitting the wrong button. It has never been a problem using just the middle 3 fingers.

I agree with Jeff - I've always treated written fingerings as suggestions rather than obligations. I must admit when accompanying the sea shanties, the music is very simple and I don't give the fingering a second thought. However, something more complicated merits more attention and I may adapt the written fingering to suit the style of the music and my fingers.

Learning by ear is more a question of trial and error and the fingering I use on the PA is not always what I would use on the piano !
Corsaire

Expert
Expert

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:13 am

This is going to go down like a lead balloon, but I just "wing it." This method (if it can be called a method) seems to work for me, inasmuch as I seem to hit the right notes in roughly the right order.

Shall we say, for want of a better expression, that I play instinctively?

Corsaire,

I keep my ring finger hovering around the "C" chord, having been told not to use my pinky. No idea what others do, but that is how I have learned to do it.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Previous

Return to Teaching & Learning