CBA major scale fingering

CBA major scale fingering

Postby mitchnc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Using the Galliano book, his fingering for a major scale is:

1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5 (or land on 1 if continuing on)

There's a "leap of faith" when jumping from 4 to 2, and also I can't see how you can play it smoothly without a break.
I've seen other methods that use 1-2-3-4-2-3-4 etc.

Curious what your thoughts are.
mitchnc

Improver
Improver

Re: CBA major scale fingering

Postby Nuuksu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:50 pm

I suppose You mean C system CBA, Galliano use it, it is very popular in France. There is some situations on CBA when You must take extra care for smoothness because that same reason You mentioned. This is sometimes also mentioned as disadvantage of CBA, it can be somewhat elliminated with choosing right fingering pattern for each situation. Compared to PA there is usually two to four different possible fingerings for one situation.

For C major I use 2-4-3-4-3-2-4-2, but this pattern is for B system.
Nuuksu

Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby george garside » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:36 am

there are no hard and fast rules for fingering on a cba and for best results a flexible approach is needed i.e. adjust to suite the particular part of a particular tune.
As a basic starting point counting thumb as one I use 123 234 21 which puts you back on 1 for the next octave. But for starters pick one that works for you and then try it with 'variations' so that you can use various fingers for various buttons if necessary and without conscious thought.

Its not unlike the british chromatic player automatically using aa different choice of button for the same note depending on the circumstances without conscious thought as when playing 'for real' there is no time for such cogitations!

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby mitchnc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I practice correctly and don't "bake in" any incorrect muscle memory.
I logged 6 hours of practice yesterday.
mitchnc

Improver
Improver

Postby debra » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:11 pm

george garside wrote:there are no hard and fast rules for fingering on a cba and for best results a flexible approach is needed i.e. adjust to suite the particular part of a particular tune.
As a basic starting point counting thumb as one I use 123 234 21 which puts you back on 1 for the next octave. But for starters pick one that works for you and then try it with 'variations' so that you can use various fingers for various buttons if necessary and without conscious thought.

Its not unlike the british chromatic player automatically using aa different choice of button for the same note depending on the circumstances without conscious thought as when playing 'for real' there is no time for such cogitations!

george

This is what I do as well: 123 234 21 to continue or 123 234 24 to stop.
But going down I do not reverse this sequence. I do 321 321 21 instead.
My wife does reverse the sequence from going up when going down. It's all a matter of personal preference.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Superstar
Superstar

Postby mitchnc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Watching the pros play CBA, there's not much technique to glean. Their fingers just float over the buttons.
I love watching Ludovic Beier.
mitchnc

Improver
Improver

Postby george garside » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:04 pm

you would glean even less watching a pro British Chromatic player. Watch some of the youtube vids of Brandon Mcphee on the Shand Morino - by comparison the continental chromatic looks dead easy!

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Russ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:39 pm

the reason that jump puts your hand in a position to play the next octave. The Galliano book will also show you different ways to finger that scale.
Russ

Expert
Expert

Postby Acon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:25 am

For Major scales starting from different rows, here are fingerings I use:
Row 1: 1-2-1-2-3-1-2-1 (up and down)
Row 2: 3-1-2-1-2-3-1-3 (up and down)
Row 3: 2-3-1-3-1-2-1-2 (up and down)

Yes I love to use the thumb! :tup:

But I also use an alternative fingering. It's all the same as shown above but the 1(thumb) is replaced by the 4 (ring finger).
Works well for me too.
Acon

Improver
Improver

Postby dan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:23 am

There's no "leap of faith" if you rotate your wrist when ring finger hits. With practice it can played almost legato but I never figured out the benefit of this sort of move. I prefer the fingering recommended by George
dan

Improver
Improver

Next

Return to Teaching & Learning