Playing by ear

Playing by ear

Postby m33ksy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Apologies is this has already been asked, I couldn't find it anywhere. This may be a very vague question but what advice can people give me with regards to learning to play by ear. I can read music but want to be able to hear a piece of music and be able to play it. I understand this will take many months and years to perfect but any pointers on how to attack this would be greatly received.

Many thanks
m33ksy

Novice
Novice

Re: Playing by ear

Postby george garside » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:49 pm

there is a h uge thread on here re playing by ear - I have brought a section of it up again in the portal part of the forum.
Perhaps someone who knows how to do these things can provide a link to the start of the thread

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby m33ksy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Thank you for that George I figured there might have been but a search proved fruitless. Thank you for bumping that to the top :)
m33ksy

Novice
Novice

Postby george garside » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 pm

m33ksy wrote:Apologies is this has already been asked, I couldn't find it anywhere. This may be a very vague question but what advice can people give me with regards to learning to play by ear. I can read music but want to be able to hear a piece of music and be able to play it. I understand this will take many months and years to perfect but any pointers on how to attack this would be greatly received.

Many thanks

loads of hints and tips on the thread I have bumped up and which is well worth reading right through. However to get you started I would suggest that to begin with you take a simple tune that you can hum or whistle ( that proves it is in the head so to speak) and pick it out slowly in the key of C . When the saints go marching in,amazing grace, coming round the mountains , winster gallop, or whatever!. when you have sorted out a tune in C then play it in some other keys eg F,G,D,A.

As to the bass stick with the 3 chord trick once you have the melody sorted and just busk in using , if playing in C, FCG bass notes and major chords the choice being whichever sounds best. Busking in the bass becomes totally intuitive once you get the hang of it!

hope this helps

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby m33ksy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks for the quick summary, I have started reading through the 17 or so pages and there is some great information,a brilliant topic one that I guess will always have mixed opinions but then that's not a bad thing. {}
m33ksy

Novice
Novice

Return to Teaching & Learning