Good old Bal Musette

Talk about anything accordion related here
maugein96
Superstar
Superstar

Good old Bal Musette

Post by maugein96 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Flashback to the days when the accordion was King of the dance halls.The accordionist, Jo Krasker, is partially obscured by the elderly gent practising his bellows shake on the derriere of the attractive girl in the foreground. She was probably a hostess employed by the bal, who received payment for allowing would be accordionists to practice their squeeze technique.
With regard to the onlooking rather bemused bespectacled lady, "Don't fancy yours much", as they say!
13165846_1103837456341631_3869380763906899412_n.jpg

cat
Improver
Improver

Re: Good old Bal Musette

Post by cat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:51 am

Ah the days...

So much can be said and from such a small implement.. (where is the 'heart' smiley/icon? :?: )

Yay accordian!

Geoff de Limousin
Expert
Expert

Post by Geoff de Limousin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:28 am

Looks like they are dancing a Java , " les mains sur les fesses" makes it a popular number for the men!

Accordeonist playing standing up, looks to be not playing the basses so there will be other musicians hidden by the crowd. Great picture!!

JeffJetton
Expert
Expert

Post by JeffJetton » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Geoff de Limousin wrote:Accordeonist playing standing up, looks to be not playing the basses so there will be other musicians hidden by the crowd.
Or maybe he just got done playing and is closing the bellows--note the hand up by the air button area.

Although wouldn't it have been unusual for the musicians to play right there on the floor, so close to the dancing? I had always heard that the clubs would put them up on platforms (sometimes stranding them there until someone came by with the ladder).

The expression on the face of the "hostess" should appear next to the dictionary definition of "ennui". :D

acordiansam
Star
Star

Post by acordiansam » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:25 pm

His look says, Oh S... I'm Busted!

Fratelli Crosio 60
Novice
Novice

Post by Fratelli Crosio 60 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Hey ! You want to know more about this interesting photograph ? I am Eric, the son of accordionist Jo Krasker who is partially hidden on the document. In fact, this photo was taken on Saturday 27 September 1952 at the very famous (at the time) "Bal des Apaches" at Saint Germain des Prés in Paris. The person who is dancing with this (beautiful) lady is not just anybody, he's the famous academician and novelist Francis Carco ! Carco is, among several other things, the author of the novel Jésus la Caille which was turned into a theater play in early 1952 by author Frédéric Dard. For the needs of the play, an accordionist had to be appointed, and so my father Jo Krasker started the job in June 1952, standing in for the first accordionist who gave up after only four months of engagement. It should be pointed out that my father stayed in the company until January 1953 after the play had been also performed throughout France and even in Morocco (Marrakech...) in December 1952.
Now, let's go back to the photo : Before or after (it is not specified) one of the performances of Jésus la Caille in théâtre Gramont, Mr Francis Carco wanted to go to the "Bal des Apaches" and so the complete company, including people like actress Lila Kedrova, came along with him just for fun (several photos of this event, plus the one on which you can clearly see my father, are now circulating on the web).The event was so funny and unexpected that it made the headline of newspaper France Soir on 29 September 1952 which said : "Francis Carco a chaloupé au bal des Apaches" (Francis Carco has danced at the Bal des Apaches).
So, you better understand now why my father (who is still wearing his typical stage clothing and cap) is not playing his accordion at all here (neither the basses or the main notes), because he's only a member of the audience, considering that the real orchestra playing the music is hidden by the dancers.
If you want to know more about my father's career and see some photos of the Jésus la Caille play and company as well as some original posters (sorry, it's in French language), please click on the following link here : http://lafranceetlesbeatles.blogspot.fr ... ge_10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moreover, within a few weeks, the several recordings my father made between 1957 and 1962 will be reissued on CD (including this beautiful waltz of Italian composer Joseph Colombo, Riva Bella, one of my father's favourites). He has also recorded for belgian label Kraftone the Beethoven track Für Elise with friend accordionist Raymond Siozade that you can hear here on Youtube (sorry for the sound quality) and which will be also included on the CD too :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpmLZ2qTUJ8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunately, my father Jo Krasker passed away on 15 August 2016. He would have been 90 on 19 December 2016.
Thanks for reading.
Warmest Regards,
Eric

Fratelli Crosio 60
Novice
Novice

Post by Fratelli Crosio 60 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Besides, here's an alternate shot of the same series of photographs on which you can see accordionist Jo Krasker (not playing his accordion!) :

Thanks!

Eric

Corsaire
Expert
Expert

Post by Corsaire » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks for the information, Eric. It's always nice to know more about a photograph. I'll look at your link later.

Stephen
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:24 pm

I saw the first photo of the dancers and the accordionist in a book. Great photo!
The second photo is new for me. Thanks.

I'd say women dance with the legs and feet, men need an extra support, we dance with our hands...sur les fesses...evidemment....

Fratelli Crosio 60
Novice
Novice

Post by Fratelli Crosio 60 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Corsaire wrote:Thanks for the information, Eric. It's always nice to know more about a photograph. I'll look at your link later.
You're welcome, Corsaire. I'm glad you liked the information provided. By the way, when you'll look at the link, you'll discover that among many other things, my father used to back female singers such as Joséphine Baker, Line Renaud, Suzy Solidor, Colette Renard, and Georgette Plana.

Eric.