Good old Bal Musette

Re: Good old Bal Musette

Postby Fratelli Crosio 60 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Stephen wrote:I saw the first photo of the dancers and the accordionist in a book.

Great ! I didn't know the existence of such a book. Can you please tell me more about that intriguing book ?

Where does it come from and when was it published ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Warmest Regards,

Eric
Fratelli Crosio 60

Beginner
Beginner

Postby Corsaire » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:18 pm

That's an amazing account of your father's life, Eric. I like the "piano à bretelles" ! He seems always to have been in the right place at the right time - and has certainly played for some interesting people. I think the 1950s and 60s must have been a great time - he seems to have done so many different things. Perhaps it's as well he didn't go to the United States - it would have been a loss for France.
Corsaire

Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Stephen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:24 pm

The photo is on page 99 and the book is :
L'accordeon. Quelle histoire!
Author: Philippe Kruim
Editions Parigramme, 2012

Another book about musette and accordion is :
Accordeons. De la java au jazz.
Author: Laurent Faugeras.
Editions Du May, 2008.
Stephen

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Stephen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:27 pm

By the way, anyone having the Alphonse Boudard book and cd, called La valse musette et L'accordeon?
Seems to be focused on musette, 281 pages?
Stephen

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Fratelli Crosio 60 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Corsaire wrote: He seems always to have been in the right place at the right time - and has certainly played for some interesting people. I think the 1950s and 60s must have been a great time - he seems to have done so many different things. Perhaps it's as well he didn't go to the United States - it would have been a loss for France.

Yes, that's true, he did a lot of things in those days (and his web page is just a summary of his rich career), but he felt a little depressed from 1966 on with the British invasion coming to France (Beatles, Stones, Kinks...) and killing (a bit) the accordion scene, though he later acknowledged that the Beatles were of course very talented, even playing some covers of their songs (such as Michelle) on stage with his orchestra.
Fratelli Crosio 60

Beginner
Beginner

Postby Fratelli Crosio 60 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Stephen wrote:The photo is on page 99 and the book is :

Thanks for the info, Stephen, I'm going to get it as soon as possible. Hope it's still available somewhere.

My dad would have certainly loved to read it...

Eric :)
Fratelli Crosio 60

Beginner
Beginner

Postby OuijaBoard » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:13 am

Cher FC 60, Merci bien pour cette petite histoire ravissante!!!
OuijaBoard

Novice
Novice

Postby Fratelli Crosio 60 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:33 pm

Stephen wrote:The photo is on page 99 and the book is :

I got the book, Stephen. Thanks ! By the way, the name of the author is : Philippe Krümm, not "Kruim".

Actually, the book features the photo on full page 99. Amazing ! However, although the photo caption (on page 98) is correct, it is obvious that author Philippe Krümm was not aware of the full context in which the photo was taken, and so he most probably thought that the accordionist behind writer Francis Carco belonged indeed to the "Bal des Apaches" orchestra, which was not the case. As I said earlier, the whole theatrical troupe went along with him on that day just to have some fun à St Germain-des-Prés.

It should be pointed out that Francis Carco was very fond of accordion "musette" at least since he was a teenager. So, it's no surprising that he decided to incorporate an accordionist in his theatrical play, Jésus la Caille in early 1952.
Fratelli Crosio 60

Beginner
Beginner

Postby Fratelli Crosio 60 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:03 pm

OuijaBoard wrote:Cher FC 60, Merci bien pour cette petite histoire ravissante!!!

Il n'y a pas de quoi, OuijaBoard. Compte tenu de l'intérêt qu'a déclenché la photo parmi les passionnés d'accordéon, j'ai pensé que des précisions supplémentaires seraient susceptibles d'intéresser les lecteurs.

English translation : You're welcome, OuijaBoard. Given the interest that this photo has triggered among the accordion enthusiasts, I just thought that some additional clarification would be likely to rise some interest among them.

Thanks!

A new photo of accordionist Jo Krasker wearing his Fratelli Crosio in 1959 :

Fratelli Crosio 60

Beginner
Beginner

Postby Corsaire » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:12 am

Une très belle image !
Corsaire

Intermediate
Intermediate

Previous