Bellows sizes?

Bellows sizes?

Postby Edward Jennings » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Can anyone tell me if 22 x 35 cms is a common size for bellows on PA's? I may be looking for a second-hand set for an old melodeon which I've just bought, but not yet received. Thanks in advance for any help.
Edward Jennings

Novice
Novice

Re: Bellows sizes?

Postby JIM D. » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:11 pm

I only wish there is a simple answer to the question here but, unfortunately there isn't. Bellows size will vary by country of manufacturer , model, and type's of PA's they make. Older box's have bellows that are considered as obsolete parts by their makers and finding someone to part with a good used set is very difficult. And in many cases having a new replacement set made will outvalue the worth of the box itself.
http://www.accordionrevival.com/ACCORDI ... ew_bellows
Owner,Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA
JIM D.

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby debra » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:12 pm

Edward Jennings wrote:Can anyone tell me if 22 x 35 cms is a common size for bellows on PA's? I may be looking for a second-hand set for an old melodeon which I've just bought, but not yet received. Thanks in advance for any help.

Many PAs are not 22cm thick (wide). They are more like 19 or 20cm. And 35cm is a bit short. It may work for an 80 or 96 bass but not for an 120 bass.
So to me 22 x 35 sounds a bit more like it's for a CBA instrument, not as long but often a bit wider than a PA.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Edward Jennings » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Thank you both. I know from my melodeon experience that bellows are hardly ever uniform to any particular maker, or even model in some cases. I'll have to keep a measure in my pocket while I'm trudging around junk shops and car boot fairs over the summer.
Edward Jennings

Novice
Novice

Postby Soulsaver » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:57 am

Just to complicate things, it may not look 'right' if the corners don't match your wood, too.
If you've got time on your hands & the inclination you can make your own fairly cheaply.. :idea:
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Edward Jennings » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:44 am

Mmmmm, yes, of course you're right. That fact did slip my mind, but really shouldn't have, as the corners on my family of melodeons differ quite markedly.
I have a bellows set from a Tango 111, and if I remember correctly (it's almost 3000 miles away at the mo') the corners on there are reasonably square. Whilst in between sleep and awakedness, I've been contemplating removing the frames and tape and cutting them down (height-wise) and extending them width-wise (all with cardboard and glue) to fit. It can only turn out to be a complete disaster, can't it?
But even with a mismatching corner profile, the old adadge that "Beggars can't be choosers!" does ring true. Plus; the instrument in question would never win a beauty competition anyway.
Edward Jennings

Novice
Novice

Postby boxplayer4000 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:38 am

Has anybody any experience of 'Galassi-Bellows' in Italy?
boxplayer4000

Improver
Improver

Postby Soulsaver » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:59 am

Edward Jennings wrote:But even with a mismatching corner profile, the old adadge that "Beggars can't be choosers!" does ring true. Plus; the instrument in question would never win a beauty competition anyway.

Yep It crossed my mind that 'I ain't that bothered for this one..' was a possible if not probable reply.

Be lucky.
Ed
[b]Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584

b]
Soulsaver

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby kimric » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:52 pm

I have a shelf with about 50 pairs of new and used bellows, none are the same size.There is no standard.
I have sets made in the Czech Republic when I need custom sizes. And yes the corners are a additional problem.
Smythe's Accordion Center, since 1997
Oakland ,California
kimric

Expert
Expert

Return to Accordion Chat