Things you've found inside an accordion...

Re: Things you've found inside an accordion...

Postby debra » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:07 pm

JerryPH wrote:...
I haven't worked inside accordions much but Inside computers, I have found dead mice, a well sizzled snake of about 15 inches and one even with 20 or so cockroaches. Does that count? :lol:

Wow, I have worked inside computers too and never found dead mice or snakes or even cockroaches. The worst I ever had to deal with was a large exploded capacitor (after someone plugged a 120V machine in a 220V outlet. Happened twice actually. With these large electrolytic capacitors that is a terrible mess to clean up.
Inside an accordion mold and rust (or other forms of corrosion) are the worst things I have seen. The Scotch tape was just the weirdest thing I saw, but did no harm.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Zevy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:50 am

I've taught myself to be brave and do some very minimal, minor repairs. My most common culprit is the facial hair. It gets stuck in the reed and the note plays sharp. Here's a picture:

FH.JPG
Facial Hair in Reed

Zevy
Petosa AM-1100 LMMH, Beltuna “Balkan Star” Cassotto LMMH (for which I am entertaining any serious bids; please PM me), Excelsior “Concert Multi Grand-Model '00'” LMMH, Borsini “Lars Ek Nostalgic” LMMM, Nunziola LMMH, all PA dry tuned
Zevy

Star
Star

Postby Morne » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 am

Aha! So that's what the Russians mean when they say their bayans come with beards. :lol:
Morne

Expert
Expert

Postby debra » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 am

Zevy wrote:I've taught myself to be brave and do some very minimal, minor repairs. My most common culprit is the facial hair. It gets stuck in the reed and the note plays sharp...

I do get facial hair (my own) stuck in chin switches or the bellow straps at the top (ouch) but it sure takes a rare path (Murphy of course allows it) for a hair to get inside, then sucked into the chamber when a note is played (pallet opens) and then stuck between reed and reed plate. If you see enough instances everything that is possible will be seen at least once...
Luckily these events mean that most often when something does not sound right in an accordion and it is a rather sudden change it is something that is quick and easy to fix.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby donn » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:45 pm

If you want to see a fun film with a lot of music, where something is discovered inside an accordion: Black Cat, White Cat - 1998, Emir Kusturica.
donn

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby AccordionUprising » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Does "a cascade of reeds pouring out" count as "something found" on opening an accordion that had sat next to a radiator in a theatre since the 1930's? First time I'd opened one, "What's making that rattling?" Every other time has been anti-climactic.
Bruce Triggs
Accordion Noir Radio
Vancouver, BC, Canada
AccordionUprising

Intermediate
Intermediate

Previous

Return to Accordion Chat