Accordion "Flaps"

Talk about anything accordion related here
wirralaccordion
Novice
Novice

Accordion "Flaps"

Post by wirralaccordion » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:32 pm

A few piano accordions have flaps. Are these on cheaper accordions? Could someone please advise me what the flaps are for on a piano accordion?

Typically as shown below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322485912944? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this example the one on the left is different to the other three. Is there a different function for this one?

Stephen Hawkins
Star
Star

Re: Accordion "Flaps"

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:10 am

Hello Phil,

This will be no help whatsoever, but did you know that "accordion flaps" are a type of fashion accessory? Really, they are a type of handbag, and a "must have" item for the sartorially aware young lady.

I was trying to help, but got distracted by something way beyond my understanding. I shall consult with Brenda in the morning; perhaps she is aware of this iconic accessory.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:20 am

I used to own one of those accordions, but a touch bigger (full size 120 bass, etc...). Opening the flaps made the accordion slightly louder and brighter sounding.
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 am

Hi They are a kind of mute, they open by the rocker switch (in this instance) in the middle to allow a slightly brighter & louder sound to be heard than when closed. They mostly date back to c1960s, and can be seen on PSoprani, Scandalli and Parrot (and maybe others that I don't immediately recall, certainly also on some Russian models).
The Scandallis in nice condition I've seen with asking prices of £1000+
Pans (I call them) are usually the same, all do the same thing. It's possible the one has tarnished or been broken, and a replacement has been found that doesn't match the originals. The linked one has 4, 120 bass I've seen with 6.
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 am

Mine had the 6 flaps. :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:45 pm

?dustbin lids!

george

wirralaccordion
Novice
Novice

Post by wirralaccordion » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Soulsaver was correct. As I was thinking of buying this instrument I spoke to the seller in Germany and he had replaced a broken flap with another one ( which didn't quite match the original )

This was said to be a reason for the "low price". Hmmm!