THE MIGHTY ACCORDION BOOK

Re: THE MIGHTY ACCORDION BOOK

Postby BobM » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:34 pm

Another good thing about TMA is that it deals with “Alternate bass” patterns, (page 33) which takes you closer to what a bass player might play, ie, not just one bass note in a bar. Once you get this, for example, playing a Tango part is not much harder than playing a 2 beat rhythm.

BobM.
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know..
BobM

Superstar
Superstar

Postby DonnieDubh » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:16 pm

:tup:
Have you been through the entire book Bob
DonnieDubh

Improver
Improver

Postby BobM » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:56 am

DonnieDubh wrote:
Have you been through the entire book Bob?

I haven’t been through it completely because a lot of it I’d already worked out or knew anyway, but it’s been useful to have my fingerings confirmed. I dip into it when I’m looking for a particular chord, or inversion, most recently a Maj 9th for example. I’ve been a professional musician for almost 45 years, but with very little keyboard skill, so I need my right hand to catch up with my left, hence not going through the entire book.

BobM wrote:One it’s failings (IMO), is that it doesn’t have “real world” examples of the *chords, as they might appear in a song, to help put them into a context, and scale fingerings to help link them together.

*I should have said chord patterns.

If it’s used in context with other music sources, this is a great way to play good LH chords, the kind that occur on well written chord charts. Learn to play a Major scale with several fingerings and combine with TMA, it takes the Stradella to another level in my opinion.

BobM.
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know..
BobM

Superstar
Superstar

Postby Jim the box » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:20 am

DonnieDubh wrote:Okay sounds good slowly working through it at the moment also have other Scottish music tutors which touch on Bass

Just out of interest DonnieDubh, which Scottish music tutors do you have that are best for teaching the bass?
Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion.
Norman Schwarzkopf.
Jim the box

Star
Star

Postby DonnieDubh » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:35 am

Was given these ones Jim
(SCOTTISH PIANO ACCORDION TUTOR VOL 1 AND 2 ) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/40045365 ... =83&ff19=0
AND
FIRST CEILIDH COLLECTION FOR ACCORDION
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIRST-CEILIDH ... 5d3ce5d512
All composed by David J Mackenzie
DonnieDubh

Improver
Improver

Postby Jim the box » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Which one do you consider to be the best for advanced bass?
Norman Schwarzkopf.
Jim the box

Star
Star

Postby DonnieDubh » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:12 pm

I am just starting Jim but would probably say the mighty accordion as it covers all Bass right up using diminished
DonnieDubh

Improver
Improver

Postby BobM » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:02 pm

DonnieDubh wrote:I am just starting Jim but would probably say the mighty accordion as it covers all Bass right up using diminished

I’m not by my copy at the moment but I think that the Diminished section is only about halfway through the book...
BobM

Superstar
Superstar

Postby Jim the box » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Well that's an easy Birthday present sorted from the missus, I think I'll have me one of those fine books. :D
Norman Schwarzkopf.
Jim the box

Star
Star

Postby DonnieDubh » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Page 29 today F, C , G , D , and A with Majors Bass note and chord played for 2 beats each finding the jump upto A quite difficult today but after the next few excercises we go onto alternating Bass :oops:
DonnieDubh

Improver
Improver

PreviousNext

Return to Accordion Chat