How many do you own?

How many accordions (inc. melodeons, etc.) do you own?

None yet
2%
26%
23%
13%
13%
5%
Over 5
17%

Total votes : 380

Re: How many do you own?

Postby Anyanka » Mon May 11, 2015 11:44 am

True! My trick is to add other instruments to the collection. I've just bought a set of smallpipes, and am also messing around with my daughter's celtic harp now and then. That's in addition to the piano, harmonium, whistles, pipe & tabor, flute and borderpipes... But I do love the accordion most of all my instruments.
Anyanka

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: How many do you own?

Postby cmooradian » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm amassing a small collection of vintage instruments for restoration.

My prize piece is a root beer 3/5 1937 Silvio Soprani that my parents picked up at a pawn shop for $120. They gave it to me as a graduation present.
Everything was in great condition, considering it didn't come with a case, but I'm gave it an overhaul due to its age. Everything has been expected upkeep. When I looked up what similar Silvio Sopranis were going for on E-Bay, my parents were pretty mad they didn't auction it off themselves, haha.

My next addition was a hand painted museum piece from the New England Accordion Museum. I don't have a make or model number, but it's a lady sized 3/4, 31 key 120 bass, with handmade reeds. This one has been a labor of love, to say the least.

After, I bought a 1950's red Cavalier student model (2/3) from Italo-American back in June. This I bought as a practice/travel instrument. I play in jam sessions a lot, many of them outside and didn't want a particularly valuable instrument traveling with me. It's a spunky little thing though, low action, pretty light, surprisingly LOUD and it fits me very, very well as a smaller woman. He's very handsome, I love that little guy.

And my newest addition is a "Cellini" Walles Ace Co. accordion I bought on E-Bay this week. I have never heard of this company but it was a beautiful shell, and the seller was nearby so I went ahead and made a deal with him. I'm going to go pick it up from his shop on Saturday. If anyone knows about "Cellini" or who this Walles Ace Co. was, I'd love to hear some history! I'm assuming they were local to me because the Walles plate lists their location as Chicago. It comes with the original case and does include the model number, so I could provide that after Saturday. Anyway, if everything inside is gross I might just gut it and keep the shell as a decorative item, as much as I hate to do that.

But you're right, Dreamer, they all have their own quirks, strengths and personalities! I love all my little boxes!
cmooradian

Improver
Improver

Previous

Return to Accordion Chat