Genuine Hand Made Reeds - A to Z

Need technical advice regarding repair or renovation of your box? You've come to the right place.
artelagro
Star
Star

Post by artelagro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Don't worry if you can't speak Italian - Just settle back for half an hour then we will discuss what you learned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oqkhbgyw04
Ca canny
Garth

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Genuine Hand Made Reeds - A to Z

Post by debra » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 pm

I saw that video before. Pretty amazing. In some parts of the world it can be very difficult to obtain replacement reeds. In the video the guy is making a pretty ordinary accordion reed, but I am already dreading the moment one of the reeds breaks on my AKKO bayan. If I can actually go to the hardware store, buy a spatula and turn it into a replacement reed in say a day of hard work, that sure beats sending the entire reed plate to Voronez, Russia, to get it repaired in maybe two months or so. I truly love my bayan, but I do keep a backup accordion just in case disaster strikes.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)

Thomas N
Improver
Improver

Post by Thomas N » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Paul -

Forgive my ignorance, but do reeds break? I did not know that! I have some pretty old accordions but I have always kept very good care of them. I would assume your accordion is unbelievably well cared for.

How do reeds break? Is this common?
Current Accordions:

2003 Excelsior 960 Custom Magnante 5/5 - Hand Made Reeds
Excelsior 930 Van Damme Jazz Accordion - Hand Made Reeds
Roland FR-8X Digital Accordion - No Reeds

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:11 pm

Replacing individual reeds seems to be relatively commonplace in the harmonica world, and presumably so for bayans and bandoneons. People like the Dippers routinely hand make all the reeds for new concertinas, (OK consistent cross section clamped concertina reeds.) Just a matter of getting the starting materials...... maybe... ;) I wonder about harmonikas.cz.

Stephen
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Thank you for the video link of this DIY reed maker.
Informative video.

One could also think about less time consuming ways, by ordering mass produced single accordion reeds not being riveted on the plate.
The industry is producing these reeds by the thousands or millions... Very cheap also.

The same for harmonica reeds, accordina reeds, bayan reeds, bandoneon reeds, etc.

So you don't have to order the set of reeds already on the slot or plate.
Just order the parts you need.

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Alas, reeds do break. The steel bends back and forth as it vibrates. The more sound volume you produce the more you are stressing the steel. It seems that the steel used in Italian reeds is tougher than that in Russian bayan reeds. So bayan reeds may be somewhat more likely to break than Italian accordion reeds. Harmonica and accordina reeds must be stainless and are therefore also weaker. The amount of abuse reeds get from playing violently also contributes to reeds breaking, for instance with bandonions.
I am taking good care of my bayan but I do enjoy the sound volume it gives so sooner or later some reed will break. It's a fact of life...
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)

nagant27
Expert
Expert

Post by nagant27 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Thomas-= yes reeds do break. Ask me how I know? I was playing a dallape supermaestro and heard a weird noise a little while back on the bass side. Opened it up and I flicked each reed and then one just fractured right off. I posted here when it happened. I was in shock I ended up replacing it with another from a different accordion that was handmade also and similar in shape and same key, and since on the bass side seemed to not matter. I had to adjust the tuning. I still play it and it sounds fine. I think if it was on the right hand side it would be a different story. Metal can fatigue and when you think how much vibrating these strips of metal do it makes sense.

colinm
Expert
Expert

Post by colinm » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:17 pm

The design and craftsmanship going into the manufacture of best quality hand made reeds is awesome.
This video shows that a reed can be made by hand in about 30 minutes, whether it was a good fit or not is difficult to know.

However, for the best results, the plate, the reed, the rivet, the glue the valve the reed block, the case all need to be harmonised.
Amateurs have no chance of success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Colinm, vignoni 37/96 double cassotto, scandalli super vi

boxplayer4000
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by boxplayer4000 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:11 am

Reeds certainly do break. I have a bag of them which have been kept after repairs were made and keep in the hope that some day I may learn how to repair them.
I have a more pressing problem with a damaged concertina brass reed which is one of many on a reed 'comb'. I would prefer to use purpose made rivets for all of these but have not located a source yet. Any experiences with brass reeds, as well as steel ones, and their repair would be welcome.

artelagro
Star
Star

Post by artelagro » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:13 am

I keep wondering where this man would be if he had my workshop and toolkit.
Makes you think.
Garth