Recording your accordion

Need technical advice regarding repair or renovation of your box? You've come to the right place.
JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Recording your accordion

Post by JerryPH » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:23 am

I had kind of promised to try to make a video on how to record your accordion. Man what a project it turned into being!

It turned in to something like 20 hours of work and I probably covered only half of what I really wanted to, but at 26.5 minutes long, it comes to the limit of the length that I want to make in one shot for these kinds of videos.

Anyways, enjoy it for what it is, a small vid where I tried to shove too much info into... lol

Cheers!
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Keymn
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Recording your accordion

Post by Keymn » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:00 am

JerryPH wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:23 am
I had kind of promised to try to make a video on how to record your accordion. Man what a project it turned into being!

It turned in to something like 20 hours of work and I probably covered only half of what I really wanted to, but at 26.5 minutes long, it comes to the limit of the length that I want to make in one shot for these kinds of videos.

Anyways, enjoy it for what it is, a small vid where I tried to shove too much info into... lol

Cheers!
Nice video.
I stay with my original software too because it is what I am familiar with. Cakewalk 1.0 on a floppy? Think I paid 200- $300? Went through several upgrades.
I used the 1.0 on stage with laptop for several years to play my midi backing tracks. Files loaded fast!
Nice tone on your Hohner!

artelagro
Star
Star

Post by artelagro » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:08 am

Perfect Jerry
Many thanks
Garth

Howie
Expert
Expert

Post by Howie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 am

Good job Jerry, your video will help a lot of people. I'm a Reaper fan too.

boxplayer4000
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by boxplayer4000 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:39 am

JerryPH,
Thanks for your video; its very helpful. Your website is interesting as well. I look forward to reading the rest of your site in due course.
I use my Apple's Garage Band software for recording audio stuff as it appears to have a good reputation with people who better understand these things and its handy being able to record two tracks at once without any extra software.
In 'talkingreeds.com' I refer to Mario Bruneau, a Canadian accordionist and his opinions on accordion tuning.
My background is engineering and in a previous life sailed a few times up the St.Lawrence seaway to Chicago etc. delivering Volkswagens and loading grain.

wout
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by wout » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Nice! Would Love to hear more recordings of Your lovely morino as well :D

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:04 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone (and to nuuksu and his comment about my nasty mic on the youtube video... lol).

I did this project as my small way to give back to the community that has rekindled my passion in this instrument and keep my interest going, and if I help one or two people in the process, well, that makes me happy. :)

losthobos
Star
Star

Post by losthobos » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 pm

thanks Jerry...just what i needed at this point in time...top man
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:58 am

losthobos wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 pm
thanks Jerry...just what i needed at this point in time...top man
That sums it up! Thanks Jerry, for putting in the time to tell us all this.
Now if only we had the time to make more recordings...
The most rewarding thing about making your own recordings at home is that you try over and over until you get everything perfect, which sadly is almost never the case with a live performance in front of an audience.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks gentlemen, and that is so true, and even on a recording, I've never had the desire to play something over 50 times to get it "perfect", but a few repetitions to get it closer happens pretty much every time.

In this video I did one take of the main song and listened twice while improvising the chords and 2nd instrument solo, no retakes there, and I did not care because musical perfection was not the goal of that video, but showing the results was.

The one thing that is a huge challenge if you are alone is this... think about it, in that one scene, I turned on the computer screen capturing, turned on the audio recording and turned on the video camcorder all before starting to play, and I did this twice, once for each instrument and then had to synch this all together. This is where a knowledgeable 2nd person could come in and make the job so much easier.

But what is life without those small challenges here and there. :)