Recording your accordion

Need technical advice regarding repair or renovation of your box? You've come to the right place.
debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Recording your accordion

Post by debra » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:55 am

JerryPH wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:51 am
The one thing that is a huge challenge if you are alone is this... think about it, in that one scene, I turned on the computer screen capturing, turned on the audio recording and turned on the video camcorder all before starting to play, and I did this twice, once for each instrument and then had to synch this all together. This is where a knowledgeable 2nd person could come in and make the job so much easier.
It gets worse: We once recorded a whole concert with a videorecorder (good digital video sound not so good) and the Zoom H2 (digital sound is pretty good) and then put both together. To our surprise the video and sound did not run at exactly the same speed on the computer. You probably would not notice when recording one song, but after 45 minutes you could notice that sound and video were no longer in sync. Luckily I was not the guy trying to solve this issue...
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 am

That is where a little knowledge and the right software make that kind of a terrifying event quite easy. With the right software, it is a relatively simple 2 step process:

1. Leave audio as is.
2. Cut each song of the video track in to it's own section and minutely stretch or shrink the track length to match the audio. For a live concert, one can use the applause section in between each song as a huge buffer to sync up the next track.

Yes, it can be a couple hour job, but in this case quite worth it. It does make me wonder what was wrong with the camera to cause it to record the video to not play back in the proper time. I kind of think the Zoom H2 was not the one at fault in this case, they have an strong track record of being excellent and accurate recording devices.
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Nuuksu
Expert
Expert

Post by Nuuksu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:08 pm

My experience with this situation is: I have noticed that video isn't exactly constant frame rate always. Recording with webcam usually always lead to this with default settings. Webcam software that I use can record PCM from any source and ellimintaes out-of-sync problem for simple cases, but recording audio with DAW needs more surgery. Then some video editors expect only constant framerate video and if rate isn't constant exactly same thing happens - audio and video run out of sync. Better video-audio equipment sould provide timecode IO for syncing things, Ardour DAW also has video and audio syncing feature.

noeledom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by noeledom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Great Video Jerry really enjoyed watching it.. well done more please....