First practice

Your recordings, audio or video - let's have a listen!
JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: First practice

Post by JerryPH » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:19 am

He is doing well !

Some small things to address...keep that right elbow up high so the wrist is bent just a bit, it makes playing easier and in the near future, permit playing faster and easier. The fingers stay open and relaxed on the keyboard. Right now it's not that important, but leaving it makes it a bad habit that is hard to break, so try to gently nip it in the bud. :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Bohemiansecret
Novice
Novice

Post by Bohemiansecret » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:48 am

Thank you from selwyn

Bohemiansecret
Novice
Novice

Post by Bohemiansecret » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:02 am

Many thanks. He read the wonderful pointers. Very excited :)

JeffJetton
Expert
Expert

Post by JeffJetton » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:02 pm

Bohemiansecret wrote:Dear friends, would you please have any tips on different music to listen to?
Oh gosh, where to start? :D

Sharon Shannon has some fun, jaunty tunes that I suspect most kids would like. Such as Blackbird and Munster Hop. Although she plays a different sort of accordion than your son.

A lot of us here enjoy the French Musette style. Here's a good example: Flambée Montalbanaise

Then there's classical... Italian... Scandinavian... Old Time... Zydeco... Tex-Mex... you name it!

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:01 pm

jazz... swing... eastern European folk... oh, how about some classical music?
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

BrandyD
Star
Star

Post by BrandyD » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:47 pm

my suggestion is: Make sure he's holding the accordion properly in the sitting position. Do a Google search for "accordion proper sitting position" and you'll find lots of pictures and discussions. Make sure his straps are set to the right length. Once in the proper position, it will allow him to use his bellows easier, instead of fighting with the accordion. It will be much easier for him, and will make it easier for him to play the harder song as he moves along in his progress. It will also almost naturally put his hands in the proper place for playing.

Bohemiansecret
Novice
Novice

Post by Bohemiansecret » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:53 am

Thank you all. We got new straps the ones which came with the instrument snapped in half. We tie it at the back so he can sit more comfortably. I will post his first recital separately. Amazing boy already went busking and donated everything to charity. Played 1hour straight !

Bohemiansecret
Novice
Novice

Post by Bohemiansecret » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:56 am

I have also noticed he finds it easier when bass chords are written under as with piano sheets. Some books we have mention chord above but he finds it difficult to fit in timing. I am mindful it has been only three months he has been learning. Mostly he loves his instrument and I love seeing him in the space of it