J.S. Bach, Toccata in D-minor, BMV565

J.S. Bach, Toccata in D-minor, BMV565

Postby Acon » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:03 am

Just posted yesterday on a thread in Teaching & Learning board but I think maybe I should post here too.

Kind of a challenging project for myself. I've learned accordion for 1 yr with the first 3 months in a local classroom in Taiwan, but I was on my own since then because I've moved to Australia and no one play CBA here so I've had to teach myself since then, including the free bass system.

Bach is always my favorite, especially this one.

Sorry about my poker face.
https://youtu.be/A3Uivk1uSJg
Acon

Improver
Improver

Re: J.S. Bach, Toccata in D-minor, BMV565

Postby Matt Butcher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:48 am

Stunning, wonderful, beautiful. And what a sound. Thank you very much for sharing.
Matt Butcher

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby debra » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:21 pm

Acon wrote:Just posted yesterday on a thread in Teaching & Learning board but I think maybe I should post here too.

Very impressive, especially what you manage to do on such a small instrument!
I have been playing all my life and I'm sure it would take me quite a long time to learn this. (I did it in the past on PA with just standard bass, so both left and right hand would be new for me.)
Keep up the good work!
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby losthobos » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:54 pm

SUPERB.....
Rollerball anyone...(for anyone not of my generation this was the opening theme to a violent seventies movie starring James Caan...surreal stuff)
Thankyou Acon
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...
losthobos

Star
Star

Postby maugein96 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:13 pm

Acon,

Play like that and you can put on any face you like! One of the best performances I've heard for a long time, and the tone from that Pigini is exceptional.

Reckon we could all do with lessons from you. Keep them coming!
maugein96

Superstar
Superstar

Postby Mike K » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Amazing job considering the short time you have been playing. One of my favorite songs.
Mike Klemen
Richmond, VA USA
Mike K

Improver
Improver

Postby JerryPH » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:23 pm

In 1970, at the age of 10, that was the song I played at my first competition I was ever in... thank-you for bringing back this lovely memory for me, I've not thought about this in such a long time and it made me smile.

You played it very well, quite amazing for the time you have had with accordions, but I will admit, my ear misses the very deep tones of the lower octaves. Please don't stop learning this piece, add the Fuge portion, I always considered it the most lovely and signature part of the song.

Well done!!
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby maugein96 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:20 pm

Check Acon Cheng out playing piano recitals on You Tube.

I thought you were just an ordinary guy starting out in the world of music. You've obviously managed to transpose your considerable musical skills onto CBA in a very short time, but I don't think many people on here will complain about that.

When I saw you play I thought "This guy is no stranger to performing in public", and then I discovered your equally great skills as a pianist.

Keep letting us hear whatever you are playing!
maugein96

Superstar
Superstar

Postby Acon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:38 am

Truly thank you guys. Didn't expect so many compliments. Well...I actually have a big problem playing in public because always get nervous in front of people and play like a shxx (I mean a shxx!). I don't know why because I play ok when I'm alone in my room but once someone is listening (even just a camera) I start to feel too excited and lose control of my fingers :oops: .

I finally found a bayan (B-system CBA) teacher here in Brisbane. A very good player from Russia who uses a 20-yr old customized Jupiter bayan (weighs 20kg oh my god). Just met her yesterday for the first time and told her my problem. She said I need more practice and more performing in front of people to build my confidence because confidence is everything. :|
Acon

Improver
Improver

Postby maugein96 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:19 am

Acon,

I play guitar and accordion and suffer from precisely the same problem as you do. I can sit alone and play to a very reasonable standard, but as soon as somebody asks me to play for them or I try to record myself it's as though I become a different person, and my concentration goes out the window. My fingers also lock up and won't do what I tell them. The same thing happens on the very rare occasions when I have to speak in public. I can write it all down, but when I actually try and read aloud it just doesn't come out right. I have a very thick West of Scotland accent which makes the condition worse when I'm speaking to people who may be struggling to understand me.

I'm pretty sure it is a recognised condition, similar to stammering, but I've never bothered to explore the cause, and I'm retired now when it doesn't really matter so much.

When I played guitar in a band it wasn't so bad as I never felt quite so scared, with other people on the stage around me. However, if the tune being played required me to play a guitar intro I'd often fluff it. After a few tunes I would settle down a bit, but used to get really frustrated when I ended up having to play stuff off the top of my head when I couldn't remember bits of the tunes we were playing. That seems to be another feature of so called "stage fright". You often forget bits of tunes.

I'm sure if you play along with a teacher, or even another accordionist, it might help you to overcome the problem. At least you are a very proficient player on both piano and accordion, and if that's you playing under great stress you're making a far better job of it than I could. It probably is a confidence related issue, although I may never know now. It does seem to greater affect people who learn to play later on in life, rather than it does those who learned as children. Young kids seem to be able to just get on with things without the trepidation and fear of failure that prevails in adult students.

The forum members who commented weren't just being kind, you're one hell of a player!
maugein96

Superstar
Superstar

Next

Return to I Did That!