Why so long to get a Roland?

For the modern ones among us.
mitchnc
Improver
Improver

Why so long to get a Roland?

Post by mitchnc » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:28 pm

I ordered the FR-1xb on 12/5 and just found out it won't ship until late January.
So I'll be making payments on it for 2 months before I even get it. Bummer.

I wish I had SOMETHING I could start learning on.

Maybe they'll send me an 8x as a consolation. :lol:

maugein96
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Why so long to get a Roland?

Post by maugein96 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Stores in UK offering delivery dates of 31st January 2017, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the end of February before they actually get them in. The launch of the FR 4 seems to have put everything else on hold. The little FR 1 has found its way into a lot of stores who wouldn't normally sell accordions, and they obviously don't have enough in stock.

FR 3 are going here for only a couple of hundred more than the FR 1 with next day delivery. They're getting like used cars. If you can tolerate last year's model, you can save a lot of money. As usual over here the CBA versions are slightly more expensive than the PAs.

Even trash CBAs aren't cheap on either side of the Atlantic, so looks like you might just have to wait a while, unless you can find a store within a 6 hour drive (sorry but every time I suggest going to a nearby store to US members that's usually what they come back with) who will hire you out an accordion. They hire accordions out in Europe, but I'm not sure if you have that facility over your side.

In the meantime, keep smiling, and watch You Tube!

mitchnc
Improver
Improver

Post by mitchnc » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Well, that info is helpful. I just contacted my dealer, who normally only sells the 1x, to find out if he can get me a blowout deal on a 3x.

That would be sweet! Worth a try.

maugein96
Superstar
Superstar

Post by maugein96 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:35 pm

You never know! There might end up being a surplus of 3s, but I would read up on their reviews in case they are not that great. I know absolutely nothing about Rolands at all, and have yet to be convinced to buy one. I'm sort of waiting until they get a lot of those gremlins sorted out with them. I was actually after a Cavagnolo digi CBA but they cost more than twice what a new Roland FR4 would be, and there's no way an old amateur like me could justify laying out that kind of money. The circuitry in the Cavagnolos is reputed to be troublesome, and with my history of accordion bum deals it would probably spend more time with a courier between here and France than it would in my house.

Good luck whatever happens!

mitchnc
Improver
Improver

Post by mitchnc » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:03 pm

My dealer (who is also an old friend) made some calls and the price of a FR-3x is $3800 USD. No blowout deals that anyone he talked to is aware of.

So I wait. :)

maugein96
Superstar
Superstar

Post by maugein96 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Mitch,

They can be had here for about $2200 in what must be a reversal of the usual UK vs USA price difference. Thomann, the big German supplier who buys them in bulk, has dropped the FR3xb from their range, which probably means that Roland have stopped making them.

Here's a link to the most expensive one I can find on sale here:-

http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Bras ... th-Bag/JQH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can get them a fair bit cheaper if they have been unboxed for any reason, although maybe not over your side.

It was worth a try.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:35 am

Mitch, do not be so quick to dismiss this info or "proof"... it could possibly be used as leverage to get a lower price.

Sometimes, friendship crosses business borders and other times it does not, or it might possibly mean that this "friend" is not as good a friend as he might appear.

At th very least, I would show them this, and if I was smart, I would also contact other Roland dealers closer or further in my area and find the best price around, and then offer the "friend" an opportunity to price match, and if they do not want to... then buy it from someone else. You are already waiting, so wait and possibly save money and If you are even a bit lucky, you might wait less if someone as far as on the other side of your country has it already in stock! ;)

All it takes is a few hours on the internet, a few emails and if you have a good long distance phone plan (or not, if you wish), a few calls. This can potentially end up saving you a nice chunk of change. At the very worst, you wasted 4 hours of your time and maybe $20 in long distance charges!

BTW, I am not sure where you are (USA or UK), but if in the USA:
http://www.falcettimusic.com/f_accordions/fr1xb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did you call or even ask Our own Jim D. if they had stock in a 1x or 3x?

or call and asked here?

http://www.roxys.com/shop/roland-fr-1xb ... accordion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.roxys.com/shop/roland-fr-1xb ... ion-black/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps!
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:14 am

We can banter prices all day, but in reality a 3x in the US can be had for $3495.00 any day.
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA (USA)

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:17 am

We can banter prices all day, but in reality a 3x in the US can be had for $3495.00 any day.
And after the first of the year when the 4x hits the market 3x prices will become more negotiable from dealers. :tup:
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA (USA)

Chat Haddock
Novice
Novice

Post by Chat Haddock » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Frustrating but well worth waiting for.

I decided to learn accordion in November 2015. After obtaining advice in this Forum I decided to purchase a Roland FR-1xb. Although I'm still at beginners level I've really enjoyed it and the Roland itself is fantastic. I have not explored the orchestra and other sounds as I thought it would only side track me from actually learning the music. I started with Manu Maugain "Initiation Accordeon 3D+CD+DVD" which is in French but ok to follow. 2 sets ofDuracell Pre Charged Rechargeable 2500mAh AA Batteries--Pack of 8 and charger as below which I alternate and last about a week with around 6-7 hours playing at half volume and still as good as new a year on. There is also a suggested pack on this forum which plugs in to save you removing the batteries.

I intend to try a traditional accordion in 2017 once I find someone who has one. I know their is a club near Skegness (England) and will contact them soon.

Overall, I hope you get your new accordion in January and have as much enjoyment as I have - good luck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Initiation-Acc ... nu+maugain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duracell Pre Charged Rechargeable 2500mAh AA Batteries--Pack of 8

Vapextech Super Smart nimh Battery Charger 8 cell AA or AAA