Ending with closed bellows

Ending with closed bellows

Postby Howie » Sun May 14, 2017 1:17 am

On multiple occasions I've seen the advice to "always finish a piece with the bellows closed".

Is there a reason for this apart from it looking a bit neater?

I have to admit that one of my challenges is to just get the change of direction right, let alone setting them up so I can finish neatly with closed bellows. Mind you it is satisfying when I can.
Howie

Improver
Improver

Re: Ending with closed bellows

Postby Zevy » Sun May 14, 2017 3:14 am

It's purely aesthetic. It looks nicer that way. That and "never look at your fingers" were very important lessons from my teacher, Charles Nunzio.
Zevy
Petosa AM-1100 LMMH, Beltuna “Balkan Star” Cassotto LMMH (for which I am entertaining any serious bids; please PM me), Excelsior “Concert Multi Grand-Model '00'” LMMH, Borsini “Lars Ek Nostalgic” LMMM, Nunziola LMMH, all PA dry tuned
Zevy

Star
Star

Postby george garside » Sun May 14, 2017 7:15 am

this is just a ''classical' affectation and on that basis is fine if you feel the urge so to do! However it is entirely unnecessary and the punters wouldn't notice it anyway if the final close is niftily carried out using the air button . this can be facilitated by coming to the end of a tune on the 'push' so the air button closure is a continuation thereof.

I don't know for certain but the idea of playing to closed may have originated from when many Russian accordions did not have an air button ,the alternative beign to walk off stage with open bellows and play a bit more tune elsewhere to close them!

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby debra » Sun May 14, 2017 11:47 am

I have seen this first and foremost among Russian players. I also always try to do it (unless impossible), and in my newest quintet we all try to do it. It is indeed more aesthetically pleasing. And once you put your mind to it is is actually not all that hard to do.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
debra

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby JackieC » Sun May 14, 2017 2:27 pm

This was something my accordion teacher taught me on the first day of my lessons. She was a stickler for making sure I always got it right, and to this day, I always start with the bellows closed and end up with bellows closed. I think it looks sloppy when the bellows are left open at the end of a tune.
Petosa Cajun Special, Petosa Little Pro Xtreme, Titano Standard, Castiglione CBA-C, Roland FR-1X, Monterrey 30/48
JackieC

Improver
Improver

Postby george garside » Sun May 14, 2017 2:59 pm

I agree that it looks sloppy when bellows are left open at end of a tune but can't ( perhaps as a humble 'folkie') see the point in agonising over playing to precisely 'shut'. I never leave my bellows open at the end of a tune but often use a touch of air button for the final part of the closure which only a professional box player would be aware of!

george :evil: ;)
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Zevy » Sun May 14, 2017 4:04 pm

JackieC wrote: I always start with the bellows closed and end up with bellows closed.

Sometimes one must start with the bellows partially open in order to facilitate a long legato run soon after the first few measures. It's the same as string players would do with the bow.
For example, the beginning of "Silver Moon Waltz" of Frosini.
Zevy
Petosa AM-1100 LMMH, Beltuna “Balkan Star” Cassotto LMMH (for which I am entertaining any serious bids; please PM me), Excelsior “Concert Multi Grand-Model '00'” LMMH, Borsini “Lars Ek Nostalgic” LMMM, Nunziola LMMH, all PA dry tuned
Zevy

Star
Star

Postby JerryPH » Sun May 14, 2017 4:51 pm

It really is visual, for me, nothing all that important. I would much rather concentrate on proper bellows control and not cut off notes, irrespective of if I ended closed or open. Do it if it's convenient, and don't give it a second thought, is my opinion. On some accordions (bisonoric), one sometimes has absolutely no choice about starting OR ending bellows positions anyway based on the song being played. :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com
JerryPH

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby george garside » Sun May 14, 2017 5:39 pm

on a 'bisonoric' 3 row box many tunes can be played with only a few pleats of the bellows open but on others you do not have a choice of where the bellows finish up. If playing Scottish dance music a chord aat either end of the tune can sort things out!

I agree totally with Jerry about it not being all that important!

george
george garside

Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Postby Stephen Hawkins » Sun May 14, 2017 10:09 pm

I have never given this subject a minute's thought, as I am just happy if I conclude a piece of music with no glaring mistakes. In fact, I rarely ever think about the bellows, trusting that instinct borne of experience will see me through.

Anyway, as someone has already pointed out, there is always the air button. I'm certainly not going to fret about finishing with closed bellows.
Stephen Hawkins

Star
Star

Next

Return to Accordion Chat