Seeking a 72 bass dry tuned instrument

Looking for your first accordion? Upgrading?
Inflammo
Novice
Novice

Seeking a 72 bass dry tuned instrument

Post by Inflammo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:26 pm

I'm looking for a 72 bass instrument- Pigini Preludio p36 or Excelsior 72 Bass or similar- dry tuned (I think Excelsior did one with dry and mild swing tuning a few years back which would be ideal).....this is for playing trad folk- see my post and thread abour 'best instrument for playing folk' on the makes and models page. Interested if anyone has such an instrument for sale or pointers to one they've seen.

colinm
Star
Star

Re: Seeking a 72 bass dry tuned instrument

Post by colinm » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Have you seen the pigini p36 on ebay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Colinm, vignoni 37/96 double cassotto,

Inflammo
Novice
Novice

Post by Inflammo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:21 pm

There are a couple on e bay I've been watching- there's one with hand made reeds and dry tuning for just over £2k and there are a couple with mild swing tuning at £1440 and £1300....it's a bit like buying a puppy, I know with all these I could go and view them first before buying but it would be hard to not come home with it unless it was really not right so I'm biding my time and doing my research.....d'you think these look like good instruments and reasonable prices?

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:59 pm

I can only see two P36es on ebay right now, both very attractive.... difficult decision!

I don't know how much the current English Pigini dealer would charge (no website), but you could get a new Preludio from a good German dealer for 2690 Euros, i.e. something like £2400. Bearing that in mind, £1300 is definitely reasonable.

As for the other one - I have no idea how much extra you would pay for a new box with 'a mano' reeds.... it's probably an absolute beauty, but are you sure you want dry tuning? I quite like having the very different sounds of single reed and swing-ish tuned two reeds. I would want to test-drive that one if I were in your position!

Finally, either of them should be easy enough to re-sell if they turn out not to be the love of your life.

Good luck!

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:07 pm

I had a new p36 for about 3 months and when I sold it I lost about 30%
I had a vignoni with hand made reeds and I think they were about £500 extra
I know you should try before you buy, for instance I think there are two different sizes of keys on ths p 36, bur even when I try its only 10 minutes in the shop and its not long enough
If you buy on ebay the price is usually reasonable, but you are taking a risk
Good luck

Inflammo
Novice
Novice

Post by Inflammo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:15 am

colinm wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:07 pm
I had a new p36 for about 3 months and when I sold it I lost about 30%
I had a vignoni with hand made reeds and I think they were about £500 extra
I know you should try before you buy, for instance I think there are two different sizes of keys on ths p 36, bur even when I try its only 10 minutes in the shop and its not long enough
If you buy on ebay the price is usually reasonable, but you are taking a risk
Good luck
You obviously didn't like the Pigini...what was the issue for you? Agree with the time taken to decide whether an instrument is right or not and i wouldn't part with this kind of money without trying out first...being collection only the ones on ebay still offer the facility to try before you buy.

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:43 am

The pigini was a very good instrument, i just wanted to try double cassotto, i think there is still a clip on youtube