C system 5 row chromatic wanted

Looking for your first accordion? Upgrading?
Robert Watters
Beginner
Beginner

C system 5 row chromatic wanted

Post by Robert Watters » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:25 pm

C system chromatic wanted:-
Must be 5 row.
I don't mind if it's a bit tatty as I can only go to about 200 pounds.
Something that's playable or minor repair needed.
I want to graduate from the concertina!
I'm in North Norfolk but may be able to pick up depending on location.
Regards Robert

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: C system 5 row chromatic wanted

Post by maugein96 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi Robert,

Don't want to dishearten you in any way whatsoever, but you'd probably need to triple your budget to have half a chance of getting a playable C system box in the UK. There are simply not enough of them around to be able to pick them up for that kind of money. You might get lucky on Gumtree, but probably not on eBay.

Please bear in mind that a full refurb on a 3 or 4 voice 5 row chromatic will typically cost you about £600, unless you can do it yourself. I've never seen a box for sale for £200 for a very long time. In fact you wouldn't have been able to get one for that money 40 years ago, when I seem to remember a pretty rough one on sale up here in Scotland for £350.

Buying unseen and/or untried is definitely not recommended, as a lot of good looking instruments look like a knackered old meccano set when they're opened up.

I wish you good luck with your quest, and if you manage to pick one up for £200, my advice would be to offer £198 and go and buy a lottery ticket with the other £2. You never know, you might just defy the odds twice in the one day!

Robert Watters
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Robert Watters » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks for the info. I just missed out on one that went for less than 150 on ebay, I tried to snipe, but my computer threw a delay wobbly. It needed a little work so I was a bit p*****d off. It may have been junk or it might have been the exception that proves the rule. My plan B is to fix my old english Lachenal concertina (I have a better one that's staying) and use that to raise a couple of hundred towards a reasonable Box of the accordion variety.

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi Robert,

eBay is probably the cheapest option, and I haven't really been following accordion prices on there for some time. Years ago I used to use a sniping tool (don't know if they're still on the go) and they often worked, but weren't infallible. What did happen was you need to give the sniping site your eBay login password, and my eBay account was subsequently hacked. Caused me all sorts of problems, so I wouldn't recommend using them. I never bought anything accordion related on eBay.

Don't know who buys all those dirt cheap accordions on eBay, and I suppose some of them that are beyond repair might end up on static displays or in a skip. You might get lucky right enough if you keep watching.

Keep an eye on Gumtree as well, as a lot of boxes on there are just offered by people wondering what to do with an old accordion they've been landed with. You'd get a PA for £200 without too much trouble, but CBAs are pretty rare here, as you will be aware.

debra

Post by debra » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:14 pm

I want to support the warning here that 200 pounds for a 5 row CBA is not very likely to get you an instrument you will be very happy with. I have made the comparison before: consider buying a used accordion like buying a used car. When a new accordion costs between 2.000 and 20.000 pounds, and a car costs between 10000 and 100.000... you are asking for the equivalent of a 1.000 pound car. What do you expect for that amount of money? Well... that says something about what to expect from a 200 pound accordion.
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

artidots
Expert
Expert

Post by artidots » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 pm

My wife has a very nice 4 row Guistozzi C system she is thinking of selling but she wants £1200 for it I'm afraid. (near King's Lynn)

Rob
Rob.T. Originally, but no longer for health reasons, a Fantini SP30 T PA. Now:shared Weltmeister Rubin PA. Dino Baffetti Oakwood Binci D/G. Castagnari Lilly D/G. Wheatstone 48b Aeola E. Concertina. Wolverton 30b C/G Anglo Concertina.