Rolland FR8X (please help me)

Looking for your first accordion? Upgrading?
patman
Beginner
Beginner

Rolland FR8X (please help me)

Post by patman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Post a reply
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Roland FR8X (please help me)
Postby patman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Roland FR8X (Please help me)
Postby patman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to this board. Does anyone know where I can find a Rolland FR8X (old or new)? I'm a professional player and I just have to get one of those. The problem is I don't have $6,000. But I do have a couple of accordions I am willing to trade, along with a sound module. Anyone have any ideas? Please e-mail me at patanic@zoominternet.net Hopeless in Pittsburgh!
patman

Beginner
Beginner

Glenn

Re: Rolland FR8X (please help me)

Post by Glenn » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi Patman,
Your question is like asking an economics forum if anyone had any free money.
The FR8X is a pretty new instrument. Anyone selling will be asking a decent price.
You don't explain why you feel you must have one.
Maybe if you explain someone may be able to help find alternatives.
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi Patman;
The FR-8x is a currently made model of the "V" accordion's. It's quite unlikely you will find a used one. We have many previous customers at -- http://www.falcettimusic.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - that have purchased the Roland models such as FR-1, FR-1x, FR-3, FR-3x, FR-7, and FR-7x. Many of our previous customers are now upgrading to the FR-8x and trade in their present model. We refurbish, re-program and guarantee our Pre-Owned Rolands and the prices are very affordable. I've been saying for two years now that a Pre-Owned FR-3x or FR-7x is the best buy for your buck today. If you care to discuss any of the Roland products - send me a PM or call me at my shop 1-413-592-5672 anytime.
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA

Gregs
Novice
Novice

Post by Gregs » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:50 pm

I have one posted in the for sale forum area.It has been sold.....
Last edited by Gregs on Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg's Vintage Guitars
An eclectic array of fine instruments.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:32 pm

You could wait until the 9X comes out, when prices will drop a bit more, but until then, work hard and save your pennies and keep your eyes open. ;)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

skipwal
Beginner
Beginner

Post by skipwal » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:39 pm

The Roland FR-8X is the top of the line or what they refer to as their "Flagship" accordion which is now in Vogue. However, that model may soon be replace by a newer version. Roland recently announced a new offering called the FR-4X which supposedly has all of the "bells and whistles" of the FR-8X only lighter and more compact.
The decision is yours of course on how to proceed.

Personally, I would wait a few months or so to see if the newer model comes out. Even then, I wouldn't rush to buy one until it's proven it's "salt" with the accordion playing public.

As for me I own an original FR-7 that came out several years ago. I bought it new, and I couldn't be happier. It doesn't have all of the features of the FR-8X but it still performs beautifully.

However, if economics is a consideration, you may be able to pick up a used FR-7 or an FR-7X at a reasonable price. Accordions with Roland have become like "Used Cars" or to put it more gently, "Previously owned" but only in the sense that older models become more affordable once the newer model comes out.

I agree with the previous comments, though. I don't see the price on the FR-8X coming down any time soon.

Skip

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:46 pm

skipwal wrote:1. As for me I own an original FR-7 that came out several years ago. I bought it new, and I couldn't be happier. It doesn't have all of the features of the FR-8X but it still performs beautifully.

2. Accordions with Roland have become like "Used Cars" or to put it more gently, "Previously owned" but only in the sense that older models become more affordable once the newer model comes out.
1. One can replace the number with any previous generation, and this would be true. People that have bought their Roland and kept them up still like them a lot and are still playing. The only big thing (and its not that big a thing, really), is that over time, the batteries slowly die out (like all rechargeable batteries do), and require replacing. Most don't know it, but the battery pack contains simple AA batteries. With a bit of soldering, one can build a superior power source for about 1/2 the price of the replacement pack by simply replacing the worn out AA batteries with quality NiMH batteries of higher quality.

2. *ANY* used/old/not-the-current-model instrument does not have the same value as new. The one saving grace of the 8X is also a bit of a disadvantage... there aren't a lot out there. Not all that many were sold, and not many are available out there used. Conservatively I would place the retail value of an 8X in excellent condition at around 50-60% of new (take off another 20% if talking wholesale/dealer value). If there were a few more on the market, that would drop to about 50% of new... and this is what I expect the value of the 8X to be the moment that a 9X hits the market.

I see the same 5-6 8X's on the market now for the last 6-8 months unsold because they are in the 75%-80% of new price range. I believe that once the owners drop prices to the 50%-60% range, I think they could sell, but so far, it has not happened. Not many people want to spend 80% of the price of a new instrument that is 2-3 (or more), years old... for that little bit more, they could just pop for a new one, with a guarantee, and if they go to honest dealers like JIMD's place, get all kinds of extras like 1-on-1 attention, lessons on their new accordion and more. If that's where you are, that's a big incentive to walk past the used instrument and get the new one!

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:27 am

I must add here -- the 24 volt battery pack for the Roland models FR-5, 7, 7x & 8x "ARE NOT" made from the normal AA batteries that we use . The 20 batteries in these battery packs are a larger industrial size with much more capacity.
Last edited by JIM D. on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:32 pm

Do you know what the mAh ratings of a single AA from the Roland are, Jim?

While off the shelf Energizer rechargable batteries are in the 1200-1300 mAh range, they very likely are blown away by what is in the Roland, however, batteries like the Eneloop XXX are at near the top of what battery technology today can give us, with a rating of 2500mAh and the under rated PowerEx batteries are listed at 2700mAh and when measured are pretty much all between 2800-2900 mAh. There are a couple of batteries out there that are rated at 3000+mAh, but these are bogus and low quality (false marketing and all).

I am willing to bet that the batteries in the Roland won't exceed the capacity of the Eneloop or PowerEx batteries. Why would I say that? Because a guy with a 7X locally did it, and he more than doubled his playing times, but I think he was comparing the times from a worn battery, so 30-50% longer times for a good amount less $$ seems more realistic. :)

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:20 pm

The 20 cells in a Roland (BP-24-45) battery are 1.2 volts each and give a total of 24 volts at 4500 mAh.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:29 pm

Something is not right, 4500 divided by 20 cells = 225mAh per each battery... that sounds super low, maybe I am just not calculating that correctly??

If I am, 20 Eneloop batteries would equal 50,000mAh... and that would be like 54,000mAh for the PowerEx batteries!

I don't think there is an accordionist on this forum that could play that long continuously without needing a toilet break before the batteries needed to be recharged... haha!

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:56 pm

The (BP-24-45) is made this way on purpose, the low amp capacity of each of the 20 cells provide a longer life span of the battery pack verses using less cells with higher amp capacity. The battery pack charges to 28 volts and will last 8 hours to discharge to less than 24 volts.

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:35 pm

Physics and electronics is not a strong point of accordionists on this forum I fear :)
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:55 pm

Actually, the life of the batteries will more be determined by the charger than the batteries. Fast chargers fry batteries. Intelligent slow chargers will help them last much longer.

The fact that we see V-accordions with "failing" battery packs after 3 years of heavy use is a pretty good sign (that's if they are used a lot and not let to discharge down to 0, which could drastically shorten lifespan or even kill them as quickly as a month or 2 if left in a depleted state). This is what I get out of my PowerEx batteries (550-575 charging cycles before the odd one starts to fail). The theory is that if battery quality is about the same, the much higher mAh rating may be a boon to heavy users... imagine being able to use it for 2-3 hours a day, 5 days a week and not needing a recharge for a month or so, or having a long multi-day event where you absolutely don't have to ever worry about running out of power and having a non-operational instrument?

Personally, if I owned a V-accordion, I'd have no fear in trying it out myself and seeing just what, if any, improvements would result. :)

Francisco SC
Novice
Novice

Post by Francisco SC » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:23 pm

JerryPH wrote:Something is not right, 4500 divided by 20 cells = 225mAh per each battery... that sounds super low, maybe I am just not calculating that correctly??
When cells are connected in series (like almost all battery packs), the total voltage is the voltage of each cell multiplied by the number of cells (20 x 1.2 = 48V in the case of the FR8X) but the capacity in Ah is equal to that of each individual cell: that means, for twenty cells rated 4500 Ah at 1.2V each, the pack capacity is 4500 Ah at 48 volts .

If the cells were conected in parallel (they aren't), then what you'd add is the capacity in Ah, but the voltage would remain equal to that of a single cell. So the capacity of a pack built that way would be 20 x 4500 = 10000 Ah at 1.2 V.

Hope this helps. :tup:

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Glenn wrote:Physics and electronics is not a strong point of accordionists on this forum I fear :)
And he mocks me... LOL

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:51 am

Just to correct a bit of information, I was told that these are not AA batteries in there. Actually they are model number 18670 which indeed are 1.2V 4500mAh each... a *far* cry from your average AA battery. Also likely explains why they are not all that inexpensive. ;)

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:13 am

Maybe we owners of an FR8X and the like should consider the price of a new battery pack as the same as a quick tune of a couple of reeds in an acoustic instrument.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Well, in my own mentality, I know that very few things in life have a zero maintenance cost over the long term, even my lady, who is fiercly independant, costs me a bit now and then... lol

The cost of a battery pack once every 2-3 years is a fairly small amount even if it was a couple hundred dollars. BTW, what is the cost of a new OEM battry pack from Roland?

Just for fun, I did a quick internet search and noted that the cost of 20 exactly same batteries was under $120US shipped to the door. Of course, then comes the wiring up and shrink wrapping, a 30 minute DIY project. It was the shrink wrapping method of holding the batteries that surprised me, that was a bit of an extreme money saving method on Roland's part, IMHO, but it's light and maximizes space for sure. :)

squeezeboy
Improver
Improver

Post by squeezeboy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:43 pm

How about a nice 7x with Dallape & Obekrainerset? I am not the seller, I just saw that on the Facebook accordion for sale pages.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/accordionforsale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
François, in beautiful Toronto

Paolo Soprani and Maugein C-System CBA, and numerous diatonics...