Dust cover wanted please

Looking for your first accordion? Upgrading?
m33ksy
Novice
Novice

Dust cover wanted please

Post by m33ksy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to find a dust cover much like this one Image but that is sent from the UK not America like the one in the image so as the postage is not excessive.

Many thanks in advance.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Dust cover wanted please

Post by JerryPH » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:26 pm

You do know that with a little DIY determination, you could make your own for about $2-$3 each?

My mother has made some for me to cover all my accordions, my mixer and even Ketron X4. In the near future, she now has to make ones for my Roland FR-8x and BK-7m, but I am giving her some time off, she just made me two new left hand gloves in black made from Lycra so my wrists don't chafe from the cloth bass strap of the 8x. :D

If you cannot do it, ask your wife/girlfriend, apparently it is very easy to do!
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi - These do a quality dust cover in cloth - http://freethereed.co.uk/?s=cover&post_type=product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 120 bass £15 free standard delivery, 96 bass £13 (memory).

And plastic here - buy not totally see through. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Accordion-Dus ... SwQTVV-Jyx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can get see through from Germany for c€25 inc shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akkordeon-Abdec ... SwHMJYJJYJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

m33ksy
Novice
Novice

Post by m33ksy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:22 pm

Thank you very much for your replies both. I didn't even think of making one! I guess it is just a bit of plastic or similar I'll see if the other half fancies a new project on the old seeing machine! Failing that thank you very much for the links Soulsaver I may even have time to add one to my Christmas list :)

Mike K
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Mike K » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:18 am

Actually, I just use a clear trash bag....real cheap and it works fine.
Mike Klemen
Richmond, VA USA

m33ksy
Novice
Novice

Post by m33ksy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:47 am

Fair point Mike I'm sure it does the job fine but I do like the idea of something a little more purpose built as It'll often be on show in the living room so I look at it and pick it up and play :)

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:56 pm

Heather smith of accordion profile sells them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Colinm, vignoni 37/96 double cassotto, scandalli super vi

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:00 am

m33ksy wrote:Fair point Mike I'm sure it does the job fine but I do like the idea of something a little more purpose built as It'll often be on show in the living room so I look at it and pick it up and play :)
Each one took about 20 minutes to make, after the first one, that one took about 40 minutes. My mom took the time to make me a nice gift and made covers for my mixers, arrangers and accordions. Believe me when I say that the first one she made me was about 40 years ago and it literally looks the same as the one she made a couple years ago!

The one on the right was the first one... a touch bigger. She wanted to cut it down to the perfect size, I told her no, to keep it just like it was... it's a nice memory. :)

This is how it looks from the side:

The stitching... up close. It literally takes longer to cut the plastic to the 3 shapes than it does to sew it, once you know what you are doing.

She can make them for anything, here it is for my arranger, and even my old Yamaha 4-track "recording studio" mixer and recorder.

These 4 all together cost less than one "commercially bought" cover. You can use clear plastic, coloured plastic or anything you want. She originally liked the "foggy" look and bought that plastic for it, and of course, I do too. :)

m33ksy
Novice
Novice

Post by m33ksy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:37 am

They are great JerryPH, perfect, gotta be worth a try for what the materials would cost even if it doesn't turn out a success!

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:49 pm

Thank-you. I lately find myself doing several small and easy DIY projects, mostly because you can say you learned a little something new and did it yourself or like in my case, someone cared enough to go through the trouble and made something special and custom just for you. I know that there are times to go out and get the commercial product and this is cool, but there are times that DIY is simply the better option. In this case, it is so easy to create the template of the side of the accordion, duplicate it a 2nd time and then cut one longer piece that is the width of the accordion and simply sew it all together on a machine in a couple of minutes.

Now, I know that if I did this myself, I could do it, but I am nowhere near as good on it as my mother is (even at her advanced age of 75, God bless her), and even if it did not turn out completely perfect, it's still a bit of a labor of love. :)

m33ksy
Novice
Novice

Post by m33ksy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:46 pm

It is very rewarding when you make things yourself isn't it and gives you a sense of achievement too. That just shows you age is merely a number! good on her :)