Short keyboard, fullsize keys - possible?

Any non accordion related chat & banter in here, but try and avoid religion and politics!
Knobby
Admin
Admin

Short keyboard, fullsize keys - possible?

Post by Knobby » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know of a (cheap) electronic keyboard or midi controller that has fullsize keys but in a small, say 25 or 32 key format? All I've found so far is the iRig Keys I/O 25 but at around 250€ it's a bit steep.
Hohner Vox 4P, Hohner Tango II, Galotta Continent. I just wish I could play them!

wout
Expert
Expert

Re: Short keyboard, fullsize keys - possible?

Post by wout » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:00 pm

I got an Alesis q49. Has 49 keys but I bet there are small versions. It was only 80 euro's. Its a midi controller, not the best I can say, but no complaints either. The only thing that bothers me is that the forceregistration with which you press a key is not consistent. Like for one key you push it harder then the other but it registers it as the same volume. Not to big of a difference though.
I don;t know if I explain it well I don't know how to explain it in english.

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Fullsize for piano or accordion?The Casio SA-46, the keys are normal PA size and you can either play it "piano wise" or vertically in accordion position.It has a headphone socket. About £35.
As you'd guess, at that price it's a basic electronic keyboard, no midi or digital output.

Corinto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Corinto » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Maybe
- Novation Launchkey Mini MK2
- Swissonic EasyKey 25
- Korg microKEY 25
- Korg nanoKEY Studio
- Miditech Midistart Music 25
Carpe diem, C.

Knobby
Admin
Admin

Post by Knobby » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. I had forgotten that PA keys are smaller than Piano keys. All the talk of "mini keys" and "small keys" had me thinking that these keyboards would be child size!
I want to try and fashion a method to mount the keyboard vertically. I have quite a lot of spare time when I´m in the shop so want something I can quickly slip on & off between customers and do some practice, albeit only right hand.
I settled for an M-Audio Keystation Mini 32, as M-Audio confirmed the width of the white keys being 18mm, so very close to my PA :tup:
Hohner Vox 4P, Hohner Tango II, Galotta Continent. I just wish I could play them!

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 am

Knobby wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:14 pm
Thanks for the info everyone. I had forgotten that PA keys are smaller than Piano keys. All the talk of "mini keys" and "small keys" had me thinking that these keyboards would be child size!
I want to try and fashion a method to mount the keyboard vertically. I have quite a lot of spare time when I´m in the shop so want something I can quickly slip on & off between customers and do some practice, albeit only right hand.
I settled for an M-Audio Keystation Mini 32, as M-Audio confirmed the width of the white keys being 18mm, so very close to my PA :tup:
You got in just before I suggested it... Has it arrived yet? Please let us know how you set it up... and how you find it.
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:11 am

TomBR wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:04 pm
Fullsize for piano or accordion?The , the keys are normal PA size and you can either play it "piano wise" or vertically in accordion position.It has a headphone socket. About £35.
As you'd guess, at that price it's a basic electronic keyboard, no midi or digital output.
Hi Tom
I may be interested in one of these ..
Are you sure the keys are PA size? I can't see the size stated on Amazon etc but on the Argos webby there is a reply to the question that says they're 1 cm!
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

Knobby
Admin
Admin

Post by Knobby » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Soulsaver wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 am
You got in just before I suggested it... Has it arrived yet? Please let us know how you set it up... and how you find it.
I should've arrived on Friday, but an Amazon cockup means it should now arrive Monday or Tuesday.
I plan to connect it to Garageband on my Mac if possible. I'll let you know how it goes :tup:

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Knobby wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:28 pm
Soulsaver wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 am
I should've arrived on Friday, but an Amazon cockup means it should now arrive Monday or Tuesday.
I plan to connect it to Garageband on my Mac if possible. I'll let you know how it goes :tup:
Ta, I used it with Fruityloops amongst others I have on my PC... used with 'organ' plug-in as about as near as I could find to accordion sound.
I don't like to plant thoughts, so let us know what you think of the feel of the keys; see if we agree...
Last edited by Soulsaver on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b]

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Soulsaver wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:11 am
TomBR wrote:
Fullsize for piano or accordion?The , the keys are normal PA size and you can either play it "piano wise" or vertically in accordion position.It has a headphone socket. About £35.
Hi Tom
Are you sure the keys are PA size? I can't see the size stated on Amazon etc but on the Argos webby there is a reply to the question that says they're 1 cm!
Just went upstairs and put the dial caliper on my SA-46 - white key width is 18.5mm white key spacing inc the gap between keys, 20mm.
Tom

jozz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by jozz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Soulsaver wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:00 pm
used with 'organ' about as near as I could find to accordion sound.
FYI

I use an Arturia MiniLab...more narrow than PA keys, however they are shipped with Arturia Analog Lab 2 which is among the best synth libraries you can get. Basically you can tweak patches to sound like any accordion you like.

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 pm

TomBR wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:43 pm
Soulsaver wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:11 am
TomBR wrote:
Hi Tom
Just went upstairs and put the dial caliper on my SA-46 - white key width is 18.5mm white key spacing inc the gap between keys, 20mm.
Tom
Thanks Tom... you can't trust anything electrical at Argos IMO... even their replies to questions, apparently.

b]

Knobby
Admin
Admin

Post by Knobby » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 am

Well it arrived eventually. I took it out of the box, plugged it in to my Macbook, started Garageband and off I went playing notes with it - absolutely no setting up needed for the Macbook or Garageband to recognise it.
As for the keys, I don´t find them too bad. I little plasticy & springy perhaps, but they'll do for me. I did have to set the velocity curve to a fixed value though, as I didn´t like the velocity sensitivity.
All in all, for 46€, I'm happy with it and it should serve its intended purpose perfectly.

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Knobby wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 am
Well it arrived eventually. I took it out of the box, plugged it in to my Macbook, started Garageband and off I went playing notes with it - absolutely no setting up needed for the Macbook or Garageband to recognise it.
As for the keys, I don´t find them too bad. I little plasticy & springy perhaps, but they'll do for me. I did have to set the velocity curve to a fixed value though, as I didn´t like the velocity sensitivity.
All in all, for 46€, I'm happy with it and it should serve its intended purpose perfectly.
I can't argue with the cost/value for money - it's got a lot going for it as an ad hoc at home (almost)pocket substitute for PA... and I hope it stays good for you.

And its great taking up next to no space so you can work out right hand fingering for example almost instantly.. without leaving the PC/study & strapping on the Beast...

However the springy keys ARE a bit of a disappointment for me... I'd planned to use that instant accessibility to run through scales while I'd usually be twiddling thumbs while being kept waiting - but they don't help me 'cos the 'feel' is so alien to me for practicing scales.

I'm tempted to have a go with Tom's suggestion.

b]